Petition campaign to Disney

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Grr, I should correc that it looks like it was Amazon.com that is offering both versions (from both Amazon and third party sellers). So that's good!

David French

Reaction score
*Sigh!*

I'm afraid that to me, this whole idea can be summed up in one word. Dumb. Very dumb. Folks, I hate to bust your bubbles, but the Muppets are not as popular as they once were. They are a product of the golden years of television (1950's to 1980's) and while they were at their peak with The Muppet Show, since then they have been relegated to TV specials, commercials and guest appearances on talk shows - something they had been doing before Jim Henson's premature death.

The Muppets are doing the right thing in starring in commercials and making guest appearances on other TV shows; it gives them the kind of exposure they need to remind people that they're still about.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I partially agree. They are more a part of classic Television. However, classic TV is in high demand, and the classic Muppets should be given more exposure. And while it's true that the high of their popularity was during the run of The Muppet show, I don't think it's true that they were "relegated to TV specials" before Jim's death. They were given the TV specials because they were still in high demand.

But I don't agree that the right thing to do is make new guest appearances if they have to change themselves in order to do it. The best for them to get exposure if to go back to their roots in my opinion. The idea that they won't be accepted is a myth.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
*Sigh!*

I'm afraid that to me, this whole idea can be summed up in one word. Dumb. Very dumb. Folks, I hate to bust your bubbles, but the Muppets are not as popular as they once were. They are a product of the golden years of television (1950's to 1980's) and while they were at their peak with The Muppet Show, since then they have been relegated to TV specials, commercials and guest appearances on talk shows - something they had been doing before Jim Henson's premature death.

The Muppets are doing the right thing in starring in commercials and making guest appearances on other TV shows; it gives them the kind of exposure they need to remind people that they're still about.
I very much disagree with your pessimistic statement - and especially the claim that it is somehow a pragmatic point of view. It reminds me of the doomsday signs carried by rather colorful people in Union Square. I'm not ready to don a tinfoil hat, make some Jell-O and wait for Xenu just yet. :wink:

Have the Muppets hit their peak? Quite likely! That's obvious and honest. But the idea that now they must and will continue to be relegated to has-been Hollywood Squares-level stars is ridiculous. There are plenty of opportunities for the Muppet brand and the Muppet characters. So far Mupppet Studios/Muppet Holding Company have been spotty in their decisions. :attitude:

The greater opportunities are not around every corner and fans will need to have patience, but there will be specials, there will be music, there will be film and television opportunities aside from pushing hybrids and food products. :zany:

Kermsocks

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. The public is now aware the Muppets are out there (Ford ads, Idol, America's Got Talent, Millionaire, Deal or No Deal, Paula Dean, Pizza Hut, Mr. Magorium and more) but now they've gotta do something with them. Hope this writer's strike ends soon and that it hasn't tainted this "mystery project" too much. :confused: :eek:
Yes. I agree that it's sad and frustrating that Disney doesn't promote Muppets the way that we wish or would do ourselves. Nonetheless, it seems better this go round than the last time that they owned the Muppets. I agree with whomever said that angry stuff isn't really the way to go. I would urge you all to consider this; perhaps Disney doesn't promote etc. Muppets because they know that Muppets are actually way more compelling then cartoons and cg. I would love to see more Muppets, but think about this issue. If I were Disney, I would know the value of owning the primary competition. If Muppets were out there like they were when we were kids (not that at 36 years I would admit to adulthood by any means :smile: don't you think smart kids and adults would pick them over the boring old mouse and his cohorts? I just met Dave Goelz at an appearance here in Columbus OH so I am feeling more loving Muppet feelings and a but star struck. The world is a sad place. Let's enjoy every Muppety thing and moment that we can.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yes. I agree that it's sad and frustrating that Disney doesn't promote Muppets the way that we wish or would do ourselves. Nonetheless, it seems better this go round than the last time that they owned the Muppets. I agree with whomever said that angry stuff isn't really the way to go. I would urge you all to consider this; perhaps Disney doesn't promote etc. Muppets because they know that Muppets are actually way more compelling then cartoons and cg. I would love to see more Muppets, but think about this issue. If I were Disney, I would know the value of owning the primary competition. If Muppets were out there like they were when we were kids (not that at 36 years I would admit to adulthood by any means :smile: don't you think smart kids and adults would pick them over the boring old mouse and his cohorts? I just met Dave Goelz at an appearance here in Columbus OH so I am feeling more loving Muppet feelings and a but star struck. The world is a sad place. Let's enjoy every Muppety thing and moment that we can.
It's funny, that's something Dave Goelz touched on when he (along with Gonzo) :concern: was in San Francisco this year. What makes the Muppets special is that they can have live interaction and are quite good at it. No computers, lasers animatronics or green screen compositing - just Muppets performed by masters of their craft. That is timeless. :smile: