Pixar announces Incredibles sequel and Cars 3

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
You know, this Cars 3 sounds really good, more worthy of one of my favorite cgi movies in the original, and the diversity will help with everyone trying to stab you in the back over that. But, whitewashing and the like aren't limited to ethnicity, as the Nostalgia Critic explained in his video regarding it.

C to the J

Reaction score
You all realize Cars 3 is being made not just for money, but because the folks at Pixar came up with a story worth telling, right? Story is and always has been the main focus for each and every one of their films.

I picked up some information from this here blog. http://thedisneyblog.com/2016/05/31/cars-3-introduces-cruz-ramirez-first-concept-art-pixar/

Now, I've always found Pixar's world of vehicles to be very fascinating. Not only are there cars, but also, trucks (many varieties), RVs, planes, trains, boats, blimps, ships, jets, helicopters, tractors, construction machines (sure would like to see more of those!), UFOs (seen in Unidentified Flying Mater), and of course the forklifts we refer to as pitties.

I also admire John Lasseter's enthusiasm for exploring this particular world a little more. He has an interest in bringing inanimate objects to life and so do I, as evidenced in my drawings, comics, and illustrations. I could have sworn there was a third Planes film coming, but what the hey.

Nitpick all you want, critics, I'd still like to see more of the world of vehicles and, more importantly, the history of the world of cars. An abandoned concept called "Backwards to the Forwards" shows stone wheels and chariots as anthropomorphic beings before cars were made. Regarding the Cars series, I've always wondered what vehicles and modes of transportation existed in earlier times apart from chariots.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You all realize Cars 3 is being made not just for money, but because the folks at Pixar came up with a story worth telling, right?QUOTE]In this day and age, just about all sequels are made just for the money, because Hollywood knows they can make more money with franchises than one-shot features. Even bad movies are getting sequeled out the wazoo just for the sake of making money.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Uh, feels like something got garbled in that last post.

Personally, I've got nothing against the Cars franchise, I enjoy aspects of both films. It's when Disney Toon Studios then took over the franchise to spin it off into three Planes movies that would be followed by three Boats movies and three Trains movies that we all collectively groaned at the obvious money grab.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Nitpick all you want, critics, I'd still like to see more of the world of vehicles and, more importantly, the history of the world of cars. An abandoned concept called "Backwards to the Forwards" shows stone wheels and chariots as anthropomorphic beings before cars were made. Regarding the Cars series, I've always wondered what vehicles and modes of transportation existed in earlier times apart from chariots.
I'd like to see an explanation as to how cars are born. They don't seem to be made from an assembly line as far as I know.

Personally, I've got nothing against the Cars franchise, I enjoy aspects of both films. It's when Disney Toon Studios then took over the franchise to spin it off into three Planes movies that would be followed by three Boats movies and three Trains movies that we all collectively groaned at the obvious money grab.
Thankfully, it's been almost 2 years and there's been no news on that 3rd Planes movie or any of the spin-offs of the spin-off.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A Bug's Life their kiddiest film? If you consider it's the only one that kind of derived from the Disney formula of turning fairytales and the like into blockbuster animated movies, given that it's a take on the old fable of The Ant and The Grasshopper.
I really like Bug's Life. I really do. I just feel bad that the feud between Dreamworks and Pixar at the time also gave us Antz, which was a bolder film overall. That aside, it is unfair to judge their second film outing since they didn't really start making their films deeper until at least Toy Story 2, and they didn't cement real feels until maybe Monsters Inc. When they were making Bug's Life, they certainly weren't thinking Incredibles or Up. Bug's Life plays to kids because
Planes would have been better and more successful as one of their preschool shows. Especially with the concept of Fire and Rescue. That is, if only there wasn't already a younger audience series about sentient robotic vehicles that formed a Rescue Team. Planes felt like it was a weak imitation of the first Cars movie, only exploiting the racing angle without getting to that far superior side story that Cars also had. While I feel that Fire and Rescue is a more competent idea, it really showed there was less to the franchise than Disney thought. While the first Planes film was a Sleeper Hit somehow, the second one barely made a dent at the box office. And while a year or so passed with Planes merchandise piling up (that I again have to state, no one wanted), Disney quietly took the hint and just continued to push Cars and slowly fold Planes into the background.

That said, had they done Trains first, I have every bit of confidence they would have had 4 movies by now. Kids just don't like airplanes as much. That's why the Decepticons were mostly planes and the Autobots were mostly cars. Cars are far more familiar to kids. Plus, I doubt that Planes had a lot of inside aviation fanatic jokes in their films. I know two guys from Top Gun had a cameo in Planes 1. Cars 2 pretty much had its conspiracy theory plotline revolve around inside car humor. And I'm totally convinced they only had part of the movie take place in Italy so they can make a very circular reference. Which is...

A certain model of Fiat is called a Topolino. Topolino being the Italian name for Disney mascot Mickey Mouse, and also the name of Italy's Disney comics magazine. So of course they would find a way to get a hidden Mickey of that level of esotericness.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Chuckles. Why not, they sneak Hidden Mickeys into practically everything else. I'm kind of curious about how their overseas comics handled the whole Dante's Inferno story though.

Oh, that other animated series featuring a rescue team of sentient anthro vehicles. Yeah, the one that shafted the fandom regarding Dinobots, how we expected a batch of actual Dinobots to join the team of Griffin Rock. What we got instead was just that same team unlocking "Dino-mode". Big fat hairy whoop.

As far as movie-watching goes, I've got to get to Alice Through The Looking Glass, but I'm also interested in the live-action version of Night on Bald Mountain.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh, that other animated series featuring a rescue team of sentient anthro vehicles. Yeah, the one that shafted the fandom regarding Dinobots, how we expected a batch of actual Dinobots to join the team of Griffin Rock. What we got instead was just that same team unlocking "Dino-mode". Big fat hairy whoop.
I really enjoy that series, but I think that sometimes they're a little too cautious when it comes to integrating it into the rest of the TFP universe. Took them forever to even get 2 new recruits into the show as it is. That said, I swear they were saving the real Dinobots for RID, but only gave us Grimlock so far. Swoop and Snarl exist, but only in the Japanese Toy Line, and even then, they're just redecoed versions of the TFA versions of the characters.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
The only thing I worry about Incredibles 2 and sequels in genral is not having the original cast in the movie.