'Playhouse' TMS compilations

anathema

Reaction score
I'm trying to track down some information about these tapes, if anyone can help?

There were ten tapes in total, all of which were released on VHS (and, so far as I know, on Betamax) in the US. Six of them were also released on VHS in the UK by Virgin Video.

Were any of these tapes released in other countries? I own a Betamax copy of "Rock Music" as released by CEL in Australia, but so far that's the only one I've found.

Anyone know of any others? Thanks!

anathema

Reaction score
scarecroe said:
They're being called the Random House tapes on this page...

http://www.muppetcentral.com/collectibles/muppets/videos.shtml#Playhouse

But those are the ones you're talking about right?
Yeah, that's them :smile: They were released on CBS/Fox's 'Playhouse Video' label, and I gather from older threads on this board that that's how they're usually referred to. I don't know where the 'Random House' thing came from - there's no mention of it at all on the one tape I own!

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
anathema said:
Yeah, that's them :smile: They were released on CBS/Fox's 'Playhouse Video' label, and I gather from older threads on this board that that's how they're usually referred to. I don't know where the 'Random House' thing came from - there's no mention of it at all on the one tape I own!
I think Radom House done the Sesame Street videos in 80's. I'm sure there are few SS videos about in UK by Radom House

jediX

Reaction score
Well I have most of those tapes (original boxes too) and theres no mention whatsoever to Random House on the box, or in the video itself.

I know the tapes were also released simultaneously in Canada (obviously) since there's Canadian copyright info on the tape's label. If you do not own any of the original tapes and want me to type the copyright info out, let me know. Plus I know they had them in Canada, because my copy of Children's Songs & Stories & Fozzie's Scrapbook were both off eBay from Canadian Video Stores :smile:

I have no idea where the Random House name came from either... I've always called them the MuppetVideo series. I ::may:: own a SS video somewhere that I havn't yet listed in my collection (I know I own many books of it); so I'll check for those and see if those were published by RH.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I have my tapes handy; the Muppet tapes were definitely released by Playhouse, the SS tapes by Random House. It sounds like Phil just made a simple mistake (they've both got "house" in the title, they both came out around the same time, they're both compilation videos). Someone probably should just write Phil and ask him to make the correction.

anathema

Reaction score
Chilly Down said:
I have my tapes handy; the Muppet tapes were definitely released by Playhouse, the SS tapes by Random House. It sounds like Phil just made a simple mistake (they've both got "house" in the title, they both came out around the same time, they're both compilation videos). Someone probably should just write Phil and ask him to make the correction.
To be honest, the collectibles guide - at least the A/V sections - is pretty much incomplete and inaccurate :-( I've got numerous items in my collection that don't appear in the guide, and others which directly contradict it. Hence, I don't rely on it for anything more than the titles.

I'd be happy to supply corrections and additions, if anyone's interested :smile:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
anathema said:
I'd be happy to supply corrections and additions, if anyone's interested :smile:
I've done that at least twice with the Fraggle Rock UK video information, and nothing I've submitted has shown up. :confused:

anathema

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:
I've done that at least twice with the Fraggle Rock UK video information, and nothing I've submitted has shown up. :confused:
Yeah, me too. Maybe we should offer to write it ourselves? ;-)

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, the listing of Random House on this page is definitely an error and has been updated. These were published by Playhouse Video, a division of CBS/Fox.

For those of you who have submitted updates to our collectibles guide, these are currently being updated. In the very near future, we will be doing some new things to help keep our collectibles guide up-to-date.