Please Help: "Very First Day in My Neighborhood" Song

Chucky R Law

Reaction score
Hi Guys!
I was recently at a Ron Sexsmith concert (he's a Canadian singer songwriter) and he sang a version of a Seasame Street song called "On The Very First Day in My Neighborhood"
I've been looking everywhere to see what album it's on but I've had no luck- can anyone help me out? I'd really like to get a copy of it and the lyrics too.
Thanks in advance,
Chucky

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Chucky,

Nice to meet you. I wasn't aware of this song until you mentioned it. I did a little searching and here is what I found. Ron talks about the song in this interview...

"PC: What is the name of the Sesame Street song?

RS: It is called 'On The Very First Day In My Neighborhood'. I think it was written by Joe Rapso who wrote "It's Not Easy Being Green" and he wrote the theme song and 'Sing', the song The Carpenters sang. He is kind of jazzy and crafty. This song has beautiful chord changes and the lyric is amazing. No matter where I play it to people it is so simple that it hits them in a real deep place."

http://www.undercover.com.au/idol/ronsexsmith.html

Kind of cool he spent several days with Paul McCartney too.

I did an album search on Amazon and didn't see this track on any of his albums. I'm going to keep looking and will let you know if I find anything.

Chucky R Law

Reaction score
Hi Philip,
Thanks for that- I really appreciate it. I've been looking for about a week or so but I haven't been able to see it on any Sesame Street album so it's a little frustrating- I'd love to hear the original.
Thanks again,
Chucky

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
Chucky R Law said:
Hi Philip,
Thanks for that- I really appreciate it. I've been looking for about a week or so but I haven't been able to see it on any Sesame Street album so it's a little frustrating- I'd love to hear the original.
Thanks again,
Chucky
The original album was "The People in Your Neighborhood" and was produced in 1980. If you look alive, there is an ebay auction for some SS cassettes and this album is one of them. Good luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2549042168&category=20817

Cathy Hendrix

Reaction score
Lyrics for On The Very First Day...

I work for Ron Sexsmith and he may be recording this song. He would like to be sure he has the lyrics exactly right. Can anyone help us out?

Cathy Hendrix
Michael Dixon Management