Popularity of Fraggle Rock

Wembley

Reaction score
Hi!

I was looking at the various posts here, about things like the Fraggle books, plushes, toys etc. and I was wondering... will Fraggle Rock ever be as popular as what it was in the 80s? Let me explain...

In the 80s, Fraggle Rock was only on HBO, which, at the time was not very widely available, given the relatively small number of people that had cable, and the even smaller number of them that subscribed to HBO. Despite this fact, it seemed like Fraggle Rock was *everywhere* - with books, clothing, a board game, home videos, heck, even McDonald's had happy meal toys! Even today, any "you know you're an 80s child" web site will mention Fraggle Rock!

Now, fast forward to today, Fraggle Rock is on DVD now, with a movie to follow.... What do you think they will have for Fraggle Rock merchandise - and, will the children of today talk about Fraggle Rock 20 years from now? I, for one, plan to ensure my neice and nephew get to watch Fraggle Rock, but, will the children today think back on the FR movie as one of the "iconic" movies of the 2000s, like Back to the Future of the 80s, or Jurassic Park of the 90s?

Anyway, just my thoughts.....

-Rick "Wembley" Miller
..."You can NOT leave the magic!"

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I know these days it seems like so much pop-culture is geared toward a younger audience, but there's actually little good, quality, non-snarky family entertainment out there. That is why projects like High School Musical and the recent Chipmunks movie have done well. Say what you will about the quality or substance of them but someone behind these recognizes a market few do.

Fraggle Rock is top quality and likeable in every way. Yes, it has some detractors. I know a few cynical people who aren't Fraggle fans, but I tend to think the characters came too late in their development. He he.

In this current culture of red states and blue states, disconnected, reality show, us and them culture we need the Fraggles more now than ever!

Not only do I think they could be popular, I think they could be more popular than they ever were.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I do think the Fraggles' big strength right now is nostalgia. People who remember the show buy it for themselves and for their kids and that will keep them in the public eye. I don't mind if it's not super popular, popularity doesn't mean quality. I just want to make sure it stays available to new generations.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
i'm just starting to realize how great Fraggle Rock is. My whole life I've loved the Muppets and Sesame Street, but I never really knew much about Fraggle Rock. For a long time, I knew the basics of who the characters were, but I still hadn't seen many episodes and never really thought about it, but now I'm watching the DVDs through my Netflix and I can't stop watching them, I quickly becoming just as addicted to Fraggle Rock as I have been with The Muppets and Sesame Street

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
I do think the Fraggles' big strength right now is nostalgia. People who remember the show buy it for themselves and for their kids and that will keep them in the public eye. I don't mind if it's not super popular, popularity doesn't mean quality. I just want to make sure it stays available to new generations.
Ditto.

b0bb33z3r

Reaction score
I was never a huge Fraggle fan because we didn't have cable back then. But my fiancee is a huge Fraggle fan, so I've been buying the sets for her for various occasions and watching them with her and yeah, it's really a quality show and I think it'll be very popular with the right approach. Frogboy really hit the nail on the head.

ShiveringCactus

Reaction score
I really hope it does stay popular. I bought my niece the DVD so hopefully she will love it as much as I do! :excited:

While I think it's wonderful that they've been showing Fraggle Rock in the UK, they have been showing the US version which I thought was a slight shame, only because one of the things I really loved was that the captain was British - I thought that was a really nice touch. Actually it was only years later that I even realised we had a different version over here!

Still, I've really been enjoying watching Doc and the different versions of the stories. It's amazing how well the show has stood the test of time - it hardly feels dated at all. :cool:

Deb.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I never considered the international casts of Fraggle Rock "Docs" (or whatever each one's name is). I wonder how that would be absorbed into the movie. :confused:

The thing about the Fraggles, as has been stated, is that they were a pay cable show that later came to basic cable via the Disney Channel etc, but the show has always been distributed in limited markets. The Muppet Show exploited nearly every opportunity to their success so meeting or exceeding past popularity isn't a likely proposition. Of course they should still be out there, but I think it's safe to say they peaked quite a while back. :embarrassed:

I don't think the Fraggle gang has exploited such opportunities the modern media has to offer. Therefore, they have the potential to be bigger and better than ever if appropriately handled. Fingers crossed. With the season sets, 3 CD compilation, upcoming feature film and coffee table book I think Henson is finally catching on! :excited:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think deep down I worry that it won't be as well liked by this next generation. So much focus seems to be put on growing up as soon as you can now by the media, and serious dating at age nine, it is silly IMHO:sympathy: .
I guess my deep hope is that they don't lose the true soul of Fraggle Rock in the new movie trying making it seem 'cool' by updating it...
In the end I think Fraggle Rock will be the same in fandom as the older Muppet movies:, a diehard circle of fans will raise another diehard circle fans, but it may never be as big as what it was at the very start (I never saw the show until I was 12 but even I had a Fraggle Rocker drum :smile:! )