Portable Sound System

rtgentry

Reaction score
DOES anyone have a portable sound system like the passport that they would like to sell? I am looking to buy within two weeks and I want a nice set. Pm me if you have something...

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Telex makes the best wireless mics EVER. Really. But they're about $750 each. Boo that.

I've worked with both corded mics and wireless and I have to say I *HATED* every performance in which I was attatched to something. You just don't have the freedom to manipulate your puppets as you should. In many cases, wired mics are shared. Yes they're cheaper, and that's a bonus, but what does it cost your performance?

As we learned at our show during Puppet Rampage, make sure your wires to the amp are good. If you're getting a used system, please test everything. The last thing you want is to do your sound check right before the show and then have a wire get bumped so that you have no sound, extra loud sound, or crackling coming through.

Also, when using wireless mics, always bring 4 backup batteries.

I was looking at a catalogue just the other day that came to our theater...I saw in it a portable set with speakers, mixer and all the goodies for about $250 and it all folded up into an easy-to-carry box. Great AZ Puppets' director was encouraging me to get something like that. I'll try to go in sometime this week to see to what shop it was. I know they sell online.

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
Yeah, I was just posting something I found that other puppeteers / magicians used for small places. Who knows if feedback is an issue or if the wireless mic is worth anything, but for $300 somethin' - it looks like an Ok start for someone starting out. I thought the reviews that the store decided to post were very convincing for smaller rooms and up to a couple hundred people.

As a drummer, and in a bunch of bands, I've bought from Musician's Friend for years. My band in college bought a $10,000 pa system! I only have a monitor to speak for from the whole deal somehow...anyways B&H photo is good, too. I get their huge 500 page sears robuck catalog every six months or so and bought my large dig cam and other stuff from them.

It would be good to keep the discussion going if anyone new has any preferences over mics / etc.

This puppeteer also uses a "walk about" little portable speaker system that is attached to his waist! http://chattervox.com/

i think he is also a gadget geek...