Positive and Negative: Elmo In Grouchland

Lola p

Reaction score
I just figured out how they COULD have made Grouchland a live set, though I doubt the cast and crew would have wanted to do it: Just film in a junkyard or city dump and say that's Grocuhland!

Well, They DID say it smelled in grouch land...

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Pros-I do like Elmo. (Please don't call the asylum) The songs especially I see a Kingdom are grat! I love the character of Bug. Grouchland as a whole is pretty funny. (You have the right to scream your head off). Bert and Ernie's comments.
Cons-Huxley is a little too whiny, but his song is a pro! Even as a four-year-old I hated watching Big Bird get stuck! I never found it funny! Just painful! The audience participation, but it wasn't quite as bad as the "help" we never give in Thomas and The Magic Railroad. See Nostalgia Critic's review and you'll know what I'm talking about.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Even as a four-year-old I hated watching Big Bird get stuck! I never found it funny! Just painful!
Really? I found that part quite halarious myself. :wisdom:

I have to admit, I loved EIG myself. It was my generation's "FTB", sorta speak. All that songs were great (loved Vanessa Williams' song and Huxley's song was BOSS). The only downside, as others have mentioned, was that SS should have been filmed on an exterior stage just as FTB as opposed to indoors. And while I agree that it was lacking the screen presence of the characters that went into grouchland to look for Elmo, I must admit Elmo himself made up for it since he was able to emote throughout the whole film, as opposed to just staying one-note like in EW. I honestly felt sorry for the little red guy at one point.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Really? I found that part quite halarious myself. :wisdom:

I have to admit, I loved EIG myself. It was my generation's "FTB", sorta speak. All that songs were great (loved Vanessa Williams' song and Huxley's song was BOSS). The only downside, as others have mentioned, was that SS should have been filmed on an exterior stage just as FTB as opposed to indoors. And while I agree that it was lacking the screen presence of the characters that went into grouchland to look for Elmo, I must admit Elmo himself made up for it since he was able to emote throughout the whole film, as opposed to just staying one-note like in EW. I honestly felt sorry for the little red guy at one point.
Yes I agree all songs were good! The main thing I liked about Huxley was his song.
"You did that! You!"
(Edward saves Bella) You did that you! For shame.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The audience participation, but it wasn't quite as bad as the "help" we never give in Thomas and The Magic Railroad. See Nostalgia Critic's review and you'll know what I'm talking about.
Audience participation, Rocky Horror Picture Show aside, doesn't work in film. Singing along to onscreen lyrics is fun (I guess), but having Elmo ask for help those times he did in the film... really takes you out of the moment. There's nothing wrong with Kermit or someone pointing out we're watching a movie in a self-aware joke... but trying to add in clumsy elements Elmo's World (when EW just started up) ruined the film.

I hope they avoid it in the next film.