Possible New Fan Fic By ME!!!

BEAR

Reaction score
So...I enjoy reading all of your fanfics and have never really thought I could match your story writing skills, but I am considering writing a Muppet story of my own. I also thought about maybe asking someone to join me with ideas since I have not really done one of these before. The most "fanfic" I have ever really done here is at the dorms and in the MC Movie thing. And a bit in the role play games. Any ideas on what to write about? I am thinking a big Sesame Street adventure of some sort. Sara, Lisa, Ed, Beth, Prawnie? Anyone have some thoughts or tips?

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Well! My first suggestion for the actual writing of the story, would be to read the thread entitled "On Writing FanFiction (Advice)". There's a whole bunch of great advice in there for anybody writing a fanfic or, really, just about any story.

As for the story idea... Sometimes it's hard to write someone else's idea, and sometimes it's hard to see someone else writing your idea. So I can't really help you with an idea of what to write about. I can, however, try to help you come up with an idea of what to write about.

One trick is to ask questions, usually questions that start with "why," "what," or "how." Questions about the holes in Muppet cannon, or the interaction (or lack thereof) between certain characters, or why certain characters have certain behaviors (what is it with Crazy Harry and explosions, anyway? :crazy: ) are typically good questions that fanfic can answer. (In my case, these questions turned into stories like "Chasing Robin" and another project I'm working on now, which I'll post eventualy. But "Chasing Robin" started with "What happened to Doc Hopper? What if he came back?")

Another approach is to just throw some characters in a totally unlikely situation, turn it into a scene, and call it the middle of the story. Then you go back and figure out how they got there in the first place, and call it the beginning of the story. And then you get them out of the situation, and call it the end. (This is how I started "Destination: Home," tossing some Muppets into the desert with a broken down bus. And "Swamp Call" is the result of me throwing a few hundred frogs into a hospital waiting room.)

And, depending on the level and type of your insanity, here's another idea. You imagine yourself in a Muppet-inhabited place- the theater, the boarding house, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock... pick a locale. Then you see the characters there... and you sit back and watch them. Don't worry, I guarantee something will happen that's worth writing about. Muppets just can't exist without some sort of conflict. (I sat back and watched "Summer in the Theater" unfold before my very eyes.)

When all else fails- somewhere out there in Muppet World, there's a Muppet surfing the web, and who knows... He or she just may stumble upon this little site... Ever wonder how they'd react to the craziness that goes on here?

But, most importantly, HAVE FUN with your writing! Enjoy it! Get addicted and obsessed with it! Get it so amazing in your mind that someone has to take away your computer/notebook/whatever you're writing on or with just to get you to do anything else, and then even that doesn't work because you're imagination is too active and overpowering and you just can't resist your own story... <scratches head> Okay so you don't have to be that obsessed with it, but it sure is fun when you are!

Happy writings to you, Bryan! I'm looking forward to nagging for- I mean... reading your story.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Hey Bryan! I think it's great that you're going to write a story! I wish I had time to get back to the Super Grover fan fic that I've neglected for months now. I pretty much second what Lisa said though. Sometimes you just need to ask questions. I wrote The Search for Bert by asking, what if Bert and Ernie had a really big fight and Bert ran away? I figured Bert was a character less likely to do such a thing and that's what made it interesting. Anyway, I know you'll come up with something great because you write great stuff in the dorms and you wrote great stuff for the MC Movie! Good luck, can't wait to see it!