Potential new Cookie Monster segment in development

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Don't get too used to "Cookie's Crumby Pictures." I chatted with Annie Evans briefly after the "Muppet Master Class" last week and she said the producers are looking to find a different segment avenue for Cookie Monster. Apparently, CCP is too "limiting" and there's too many movies to chose from to spoof. Cookie will still get a segment from what I gathered, just a different format.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That stinks. Too many movies to spoof sounds like a pretty dumb reason to stop these. I'd give it a retool to teach other things, be they alphanumeric, social, or literacy based. This segment is too much fun to pass up.

Too many movies... :rolleyes:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, Cookie's Crummy Pictures has been a bright spot throughout these two seasons that it's been part of the show. Maybe I'd be a bit more sympathetic if they actually produced a CCP segment for each new episode of the season, twenty-six in total, but we've gotten a handful or less than ten in both seasons. And the potential for tapping so many other movies to spoof even if done in batches of slightly less than ten per season would be a reason to continue the segment, not end it altogether in favor of some new bit. Plus, can a "new" segment starring :insatiable: be as great as they make it sound? That's what they said about the segment starring :batty: this year, and all it is is an excuse for the dance routine where they just count stomps of the feet.

No sir, count me among the camp of those who want Cookie's Crummy Pictures renewed for Season 46.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maybe I'd be a bit more sympathetic if they actually produced a CCP segment for each new episode of the season, twenty-six in total, but we've gotten a handful or less than ten in both seasons.
cough cough cough... budget. the budget cough cough.

I'd love to see more of these things produced per season. They cost too much for that, of course, so I'm just happy with the ones we have per season.

The thing that's really annoying about considering cancelling it, though... these brought new life and great representation to Sesame Street. Much better than their other TV/Movie skits. Cookie Monster has had quite a bit of the limelight recently. Seems that he's eclipsed Elmo in popularity, and Cookie's been readily available for TV appearances. These parody skits when posted on Youtube get a crapload of hits. Why jeopardize that instead of tweaking the format?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wait a minute.

What "Muppet Master Class last week"? What are you talking about? Did SW hold another puppeteering workshop?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Wait a minute.

What "Muppet Master Class last week"? What are you talking about? Did SW hold another puppeteering workshop?
As part of their 45th anniversary exhibit at Lincoln Center, SW is having monthly events at the center's facilities. Last Friday was a "Muppet Master Class". Marty gave various lessons/techiniques on puppetry; it was an informal thing. There were several people there from previous workshops, though.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Wow, this thread has been here for quite some time, and I hadn't noticed it until now, after seeing the thread about Sesame Street getting some new changes (and I think it was mentioned there that there'd be a new Cookie Monster segment).

I wonder, if this is replaced, if past segments will continue to air occasionally. It'd be a shame for this to go right away. Although very few recurring segments besides Elmo's World (and it looks like Elmo the Musical has started to get this treatment as well) have had their own spotlight DVDs, I really hope that they put out a Cookie's Crumby Pictures DVD. I wonder if they could fit all of them on one. At first I was thinking that it might be unlikely after the segment is dropped, but then again, we've still gotten one new Elmo's World DVD each year since EW was dropped (and all but one have been released on video by the time the segment was dropped). I don't think there's been many video releases of these yet (I'm pretty sure the only ones on DVD are on the DVD releases of full episodes).

I'm surprised about the "too many movies to spoof" excuse. I'm actually surprised that they can come up with so many cookie-related parodies of so many films, especially since the majority of segments spoof current/recent films.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I guess "too many movies" means finding a very well known enough movie that would be funny to put Cookie Monster in that can also work for the lesson they need to teach. Certain movies lend themselves to parody more.

I do agree on the "limiting" aspect. Even though the bits can be funny, as spoofs, they tend to fall flat. Some use the source material to their advantage ("Biscotti Kid," "Twilight"), but others take the basic setting of the film and make a whole new thing about it and just become a spoof in name not content.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll agree that the Harry Potter one was a wasted concept and a complete disappointment. Though this would certainly not be the only in name only pun based parody. Not every one of them can be as good as Star Smores. I still think they could get the segment to work if they changed the format to explore concepts outside of self regulation.

Then again, I'm glad that Cookie's getting another segment all his own anyway. Cookie's becoming the new go to character, especially when it comes to nostalgic appearances in older fan based media.