Power of the Dark Crystal Gets New Writer & Director

JMPrater

Reaction score
This just in, from IMDB. It's a report from some one unknown claiming that the film is going through an overhaul as they get a new writer and a new director [replacing Genndy Tartovsky].

This cannot bode well for this film! Suffice it to say, if this RUMOR is true, then I have my doubts that this film will be coming out any time within the next 2 years, if at all. What a mess.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
This is kinda driving me nuts. The Henson's have been promising us this movie for a few years now, they waved some photos and designs in our faces to get us excited, then they leave us hanging. And now this news. of course, IMDB is notorious for being the least reliable source of entertainment news, so I'll hold off my thoughts on the alleged replacing of Tarkovsky (though I think it'd be a shame if it's true).

JMPrater

Reaction score
Truth be told, I am quite F***ing sick of ALL of this so far. I would agree, pictures were shown, the fans were brought together, excitement was built, and they dropped the ball, and some how believe that silence is their best option.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Well, as long as it won't be cancelled, I'm ok with this.
I'm sure there are other directors who can do the job as well.

Luke

Reaction score
Truth be told, I am quite F***ing sick of ALL of this so far. I would agree, pictures were shown, the fans were brought together, excitement was built, and they dropped the ball, and some how believe that silence is their best option.
I didn't realise they OWED us this movie? lol

It's all a business, they aren't going to want to put out an awful movie and lose money just because the fans are clock watching - this kinda things happens all the time. Nice to see enthusiasm tho!

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I've checked some other resources, and I haven't found any other confirmation that Tarkovsky has been let go yet, so I suppose that no news is good news.

Luke

Reaction score
It does sound like there are problems with it in some form or another.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:scary: I still feel that with Tarkovsky there would be more animation than puppetry. That's the only tidbit that's bothered me. That and the mangas coming out about Henson fantasty properties are largely garbage compared to their original source material. But they all do have beautiful shiny covers and enough promoters to say nice things about them. In that case maybe it's a good sign we're not hearing much about this film.

Forgive my downbeat rant. I just wish Henson Co would share more than they do. They release imagry that hits the covers of a few fan and specialty magazines and then poof! :sympathy:

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I totally agree. And the Manga interpretations of Henson's fantasy films will never be as good as the source material.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hmm. Personally, I agree with what Jim said about The Dark Crystal. The story just doesn't lend itself to a sequel. Maybe that's why it's being delayed. If it's a completely different storyline set within that world, perhaps, and hopefully, that's kind of what they're working toward, whether it be Tartakovsky or some new writer.

In any case, whatever they do with it, I'll definitely be seeing it.

:smile: :scary: :smile: