Pre-Order "Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting" on DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm actually pretty confused on who exactly owns this special... but I'm sure JHC somehow owned this, as it aired as part of the JHH, even though it's a Sesame Street special. Which would explain why SW hasn't released it on its own at all. I really hope SW gets to release the Stars and Streets thing at some point, though.

Anyway...

KERMIT ON A LIONSGATE RELEASED DVD! Could this mean good things come Christmas time I guess we'll have to wait and see...
Lionsgate and Disney have a good relationship. They distribute Disney's terrible 2000 era sitcoms (According to Jim, My Wife and Kids), after all. I think the unification between the three companies here, SW, Henson, and Disney, is a VERY good sign that we may not have to see a revisionist version of Christmas Toy or Emmet Otter without Kermit again... unlike the Hit releases. I don't think those companies really could hit it off. Wonder if it's the fact that Handy Manny is a dead on ripoff of (the superior) Bob the Builder. :batty:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
After reading this announcement and thinking about how almost every 1980s Henson-owned production will have been released on DVD soon, it makes me wish that Lionsgate got the Sesame Street license instead of Warner Bros. It would have been great if this were to include some bonus classic clips from the first 20 years (the Bill Cosby sketches would be good choices... One of them already appears in the special). I don't really know what could be included as a bonus feature (considering the recent releases of Henson specials, maybe the Bald Eagle episode of The Animal Show, or Lighthouse Island). Considering it was originally planned to be a JHH epsiode but was then broadcast as a seperate special... I wonder if maybe there was an alternate introduction on the Jim Henson Hour set, or if there could be a deleted closing with Jim.

Somehow I think Kermit's inclusion on this DVD might be due to it being a Sesame Street production. Then again, it's not like HIT! released it on DVD.

I hope nothing is edited. It would be interesting to see whether the original Jim Henson Productions logo is used or if it's replaced with the Jim Henson Television logo (has this special ever been broadcast since the "Jim Henson Television" days?). Hopefully the scenes where The Count counts commercial breaks won't be removed to avoid confusion. And hopefully there won't be any problems including the Fanny and Shola scenes (I've noticed that Fanny has never appeared on a Sesame Street DVD... That could be a coincidence, though).

Maybe if this special is a success we could see official releases of the 10th and 25th anniversary specials.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I really hope they keep the Kermit skits in and the whole special intact. To this day this is still my favorite out of all the Sesame Anniversary specials (I thought the Street We Live on was hugely disappointing). But I am excited that this coming out on DVD since I taped it when it first aired and let's face it, video tapes do deteriorate over time. So to have this on DVD would be awesome.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I really hope they keep the Kermit skits in and the whole special intact.
It would be ridiculous for Kermit to be on the cover but cut from the special itself.

It will also be great to finally see a Henson-released product that says "Kermit the Frog (or Rowlf, in the upcoming Dog City release) copyright 2010 by The Muppet Studios, LLC".

zns

Reaction score
It would be ridiculous for Kermit to be on the cover but cut from the special itself.

It will also be great to finally see a Henson-released product that says "Kermit the Frog (or Rowlf, in the upcoming Dog City release) copyright 2010 by The Muppet Studios, LLC".
Obviously this is a sign that there could be some agreements between all sides of the Henson company. If this means that the copyrights are not going to be too much of an issue for Disney anymore, there is a great deal of hope for everyone.

MelissaY1

Reaction score

True, I remembered the DVD cover had the pic of Kermit on it after I made my post:embarrassed: But I do hope that ALL of the Kermit scenes are there and it's not edited. It would be a real shame.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've noticed that Lionsgate seems to be interested in releasing just about all of Jim Henson's last productions that they have the distribution rights to... I wonder if Lionsgate or Henson is celebrating the 20th anniversary of Henson's death ("celebrating" may be the wrong word here). I guess all Lionsgate would have lef tto release are The Ghost of Faffner Hall and Mother Goose Stories (though I doubt those will get a big release).

Son of Enik

Reaction score
What exciting news! I remember watching this special when it first aired and then never seeing it again. I shall be buying this DVD, no question about it! As all of you have stated, I hope this is a sign of good things to come.

dmoss

Reaction score
Looks like they bumped the release date back by one week, making it July 13th now, rather than the 6th.

GoldHattedGonzo

Reaction score
I truly am furious at Lionsgate have you heard they are taking down the videos from the Special including Mr.Hooper's Death!:grouchy::grouchy::grouchy:

Status
Not open for further replies.