Pre-Order Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 (1979-1984) coming to DVD 11/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBirdABCDEFGH

Reaction score
Back by popular demand, it's our third installment in the Old School series, covering 1979-1984. In this set you'll see your Sesame Street friends on and off the Street! Remember when everyone surprised Maria in Puerto Rico for her birthday? Or when Snuffy and Gordon ran the New York City marathon? Bonus DVD extras like never-before-seen behind-the-scenes footage will prove that we're still kicking it old school!

Warner Home Video has today announced that November 6th will see their DVD release of Sesame Street - Old School Volume 3: 1979 - 1984. This picks up from the first two volumes, released in 2006 and 2007, with more highlights from the show's pre-Elmo days (note that the puppet which became Elmo was seen on the show earlier than that, but it was 1984 when Kevin Clash took up the muppet and created the character we now all know as "Elmo"). Cost for this long-awaited follow-up is $29.87 SRP. Package art and details are not available yet, but stay tuned!

Six years after the release of Volume 1 (covering the 1969-74 period), and only five after that of Volume 2 (covering the 1974-79 period), brace yourselves for Volume 3 on DVD, covering the 1979-84 period! Not sure if any episodes containing the "Crayon Factory" segment are in the final contents. The 1983-84 season (episodes 1836 to 1965) will be the first to have the sliding words "CHILDREN'S TELEVISION WORKSHOP" in the end credits.

Since I was born in 1981, I'd really be partial to a Volume 4 (1984-89) since those were the earliest episodes I'd seen.

~Ben

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 is available for pre-order for 30% off. Help support MC with a pre-order and a low-price guarantee.

Wow, November 6 will be one of the biggest release dates of the year (next to March 20 of course). The releases include: The Muppet Christmas Carol Blu-ray, A Special Sesame Street Christmas DVD (A Special Sesame Street Christmas CD is coming to October 16) and now Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 on DVD as well.

Looking back, here are our reviews of Sesame Street Old School Volume 1 DVD and Sesame Street Old School Volume 2 DVD.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I hope that the bts footage isn't the same as the 40 Years stuff; the footage was mostly from this era and it would be very disappointing if they did that.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Wow This is going to be really really cool! we had some very wonderful things happen during that time on the street and I'm looking forward to it!

anytimepally

Reaction score
The old school sets are the best Sesame Street DVDs in the world.. I am so excited they're returning for Volume 3!! ... the only thing better would be a MOD thing where I could pick individual inserts.. I mean, imagine a whole DVD of Waiter Grover! :super:

Son of Enik

Reaction score
This is some of the best news I have had in days!! Hoping to see so many great songs and skits here, especially the song "That's What People Do"!! Can't wait!!

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
I saw the headline on Facebook tonight... I LOVE this announcement!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Just when I thought we've seen the last of the Old School releases and when I thought the "Best of Friends" would be THE classic clips release for the year.

I wonder if this will be three discs like the others, or if it'll be two discs (three hour-long episodes can fit on one DVD... Though I noticed that this press release doesn't exactly say that it'll be five episode, or even all the season premieres. I hope it's all the premieres, but it only mentions two speciffic episodes).

Hopefully the behind-the-scenes footage will not just be the same behind-the-scenes footage found in 40 Years of Sunny Days, most of which came around seasons 12-14. The A&E documentary has some early-1980s bonus footage that didn't make it to the 40th anniversary DVD (behind-the-scenes of Grover the singing and dancing waiter). I also noticed it says "never-before seen" behind-the-scenes footage. Here's hoping that's not false advertising (or miscommunnication). The promo for the first Old School actually has a brief behind-the-scenes shot from Don't Eat the Pictures, and that release didn't have any behind-the-scenes footage. Wouldn't it be cool if some of the behind-the-scenes footage came from Caroll Spinney's home movies? After all, it's reported that he shot thousands of hours of footage... I don't think all of it will be in the I Am Big Bird documentary or blu-ray.

I noticed it didn't mention anything about bonus classic clips from these seasons. Hopefully those will be included as well. I hope to see Bruno, Aristotle, Leslie Mostly, Deena and Pearl, Dr. Nobel Price, Ferlinghetti Donnizetti, and Shivers the Penguin make appearances. As well as one of Michael Earl's performances as Snuffy. And I hope it includes the one Newsflash that doesn't have Kermit (two of the season 11-15 premieres feature news segments with Kermit). I'll be surprised if there's no Teeny Little Super Guy.

I had noticed that Kermit hadn't been in any Sesame Street DVD releases since The Muppets came out last year (though he was in some of the iTunes episodes). I would hope that the popularity of the movie and Muppets franchise relaunch hasn't caused Disney to deny permission for Kermit to be in new DVD releases of old Sesame Street material (if that's possible). I know that at least four Kermit segments show up in these five episodes.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The Season 12 Classic Cuts section would be perfect to showcase all the Muppets who never caught on (I'd love to see some Deena and Pearl and Warren Wolf and the original Elmo)

Status
Not open for further replies.