Preliminary Thoughts on Master Replica's Fozzie Bear

Kevin Knight

Reaction score
I just wanted to start a thread on Fozzie to get everyone's thoughts and concerns on the forthcoming Fozzie replica. I for one cannot wait for it to become available. His size, the posability next to Kermit, the materials being used etc. I imagine getting Fozzie right will be as easy as Kermit once the nose and eyes are set for production. I actually am surprised at the mentioned prices as for Kermit, Animal and Gonzo they've been able to use the same amount of materials for packaging. His box will be huge! PLUS, guys think about this.... how easy it will be to get a plastic banana and rubber chicken for accesories! Hope you folks are interested in talking bout this as much as I am. But I know let's deal with getting gonzo! I hear ya!

Kevin

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Here's what I think is so great about Terry's protos that is wrong with the REAL posers being used. The bottom jaw is set back slightly, so that when his mouth is closed, his top lip sticks out more than his bottom lip. To me, it gives him that "Fozzie" look that the professional posers are missing!

:stick_out_tongue:

Luke

Reaction score
I cannot wait for Fozzie, that proto is beeeeeautiful, i hope so much they manage to keep it EXACTLY like that in the actual replica, and the price doesn't bother me, i want an identical replica and am prepared to pay what it takes for them to do that. Anything else would be an injustice to da Fozz!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
How the heck are they gonna ship the bear? That's what I'm curious about. Dude is huuuuge. And you're so right about the mouth, WOErnie. The bear should sell like the frog.

Ignohippo

Reaction score
Here's what I think is so great about Terry's protos that is wrong with the REAL posers being used. The bottom jaw is set back slightly, so that when his mouth is closed, his top lip sticks out more than his bottom lip. To me, it gives him that "Fozzie" look that the professional posers are missing!

Absolutely! The slight overbite on Terry's Fozzie is a big part of the likeness. Being able to move Animal's bottom jaw from side to side (and close his mouth) is another example of how important it is to the likeness that they have some kind of articulation in their jaws/mouths.

I can't tell you how excited I am about Fozzie! If MR can replicate Terry's proto it will be the greatest thing ever. My only concern is that Terry's Gonzo was spot on also, so who knows what he will look like when he comes from China. As long as they keep his overbite, don't over-stuff him, and keep his face in proportion of Terry's proto, we should be okay.

As far as the price, my hopes are that Fozzie will stay well under the $500 range – shipped. Since there aren't any individual hair applications, accessories, or clothing (besides the scarf and hat), I hope that he will be close to Animal's price even though he's quite a bit bigger. I would think that Animal would have been one of the costliest Muppets to produce.

Rowlfharris

Reaction score
The only thing that might be possible to muck up in the final product would be the mouth.

Lets hope they don't.

The reason is, that Fozzie has a 'shaped tongue' (similar to Animals), so if they tried putting in a firm rubber casting like they did with the final Animal, they would run into the same problems with being able to close his mouth.

Although Terry's proto looks absolutely perfect, remember that so did Gonzo, and there was no hint of Animal’s mouth having the limits that it ended up with.

Fozzie's mouth needs a reasonably firm mouth plate, so that will mean to close it they need either a soft compressible material for the tongue (like foam) or designing the mouth plates in such a way that there is space for the tongue to allow closure.

I would rather that the form of his tongue be compromised in some way, than lose the ability to completely close Fozzie’s mouth.

Kevin Knight

Reaction score
Price, heck because of materials alone, I would expect at the least a 499. price tag. You guys are right about Terry's proto. For that I would gladly pay the possibility of 500. But Piggy? Wow between gown, gloves, faux ring, and hair, she may cost even more! Look at the prices MR put down for the Millenium Falcon! The higher price keeps it more exclusive so that not just anyone is buying. Which is good for us when you look at it that way. We will treat these replicas with care, dignity, and a treasure. The prices kinda reflect true collectors. But I digress. How many differences were there in Fozzie's hat and scarf if any?

open and closed mouth
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j138/Heartoutofhell/frog/sdcc07_mr_06.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j138/Heartoutofhell/frog/MR2BFozzie2BHead.jpg

Now is this the proto with hat?
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j138/Heartoutofhell/frog/1520518073_8ec35b912b.jpg

size comparison
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j138/Heartoutofhell/frog/sdcc07_mr_05.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j138/Heartoutofhell/frog/MR1.jpg

So what are we talking about here a four and a half foot bear? Heck my mother is only 4' 7"! Let's think about it this way. Kermit's box was 2 and a half feet tall! How big of a box are we talking about here? LOL

Kevin

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Fozzie is 44" tall. Somehow Terry was able to find a box to ship him in, but I agree... it will be much more expensive to ship him than the others.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I am so looking forward to this sping when they put his preorder up! :embarrassed: