1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Profesional puppet selling on ebay

Discussion in 'Puppets For Sale' started by puppetise, May 19, 2006.

1. puppetise Member

ok i thought i better start this because i need help and many might to

When i ocasionaly sell on ebay my puppets only sell for $30.00 and i see others going for hundreds what is the secrets and sucsess to proffesional puppet selling

Cheers

-Wayne-
  2. JoeyMuppet New Member

I'm not making fun of your puppets,but when I've been on ebay,the more professional the puppets look...The higher the prices are.By the way,I really like your puppets.Super Job!!!
    Joey
  3. ravagefrackle New Member

Quality, character, design, functionality, experience,

all the above,

I am not familiar with your work, but those are some things to take into account, as well as the fact that most Ebay buyers are looking for a deal , trying to pay the least amount for something , so you really need to have high demand for your product

many people on Ebay sell nice puppets, many people do not,

some are highly skilled, some are not,

some have a reputation for being great sellers, with a great product some do not, :)

some have extensive resumes to back up their work, others do not,

the only work of your I have seen good photos of is your Kermit, and while he is very nice, their are rough spots, here and their ,( I wont get in to a critique here)

your age says your fifteen, your doing fine work, keep it up, but you still have some things to learn, and their is always room for improvement ( myself and the other professionals here are constantly working to improve our work),

this is not meant as a slam , or anything just some thoughts and observations, keeping at the puppet building , Rome, like any artist, was not built in a day
  4. puppetise Member

you can check out my puppets at here tell me what i could improve

the kermit is rough he was a experiment
  5. Buck-Beaver Active Member

Puppetise, your puppets look really good. You should just keep building and doing better and better work and not worry so much about how much your puppets are selling for.

To use a baseball metaphor, I think it's a mistake to "swing for the fences" and start out trying to hit home runs with your work. Focus on just hitting the ball and getting on base and eventually you'll start knocking them out of the park. What I mean is, don't worry about selling puppets for hundreds of dollars on ebay, just keep building and try to make each puppet the best that you can and eventually you'll get to a place where your work is so good and so in demand you'll be able to set your prices.

There's a great story a puppet builder who's name I can't recall told once. He was asked by someone much younger how they could become a better puppet builder and his response was "go build 100 puppets, then come back and talk to me."

As much as that's not the sort of answer people like to hear, I think there is enormous truth in it.
  6. ravagefrackle New Member

well , thier nice, i like the dog especially ,

are these samples of things you have sold?

my only thought here,(and its just my eye , looking at pictures) is that some of the detail stuff looks a liitle off (not bad , just of a bit , i had the same things happen to my stuff when i was your age), some of the noses look a little crooked, or off center , some of the mouth lines look rough, maybe check some of your head /neck joins,

over all they are very nice looking characters,

again ,compared to some builders out thier you are just starting out so don't get discouraged when a Ebay sale doesnt get very lofty, you are not the only person selling puppets on ebay, and many have been doing so for much longer than you have been building puppets

just keep working at it ,
  7. ravagefrackle New Member

bucks reply must have come in while i was typing mine,

well put Buck, i whole heartedly agree
  8. These are fine examples of the honest yet thoughtful replies found on MC, and why I keep coming back. Keep up the great work (puppet building or posting on MC!)
  9. puppetise Member

no those are my personal cast
  10. ravagefrackle New Member

its a fine cast keep up the good work,
  11. puppetise Member

thanks well im building a photo puppet off beny bilby caz i want pics fo my divient
  12. BorkBork New Member

The other posters has already said what i thought, so...
    well, i like your puppets very much! keep it up and true perfection will come. Very good!
  13. puppetise Member

thanks everyone
  14. intozlight New Member

Puppetise,

Price will come with reputaition, practice and experience. However, be careful not to sell yourself short. If you are not getting enough to at least cover your materials while you are growing as a builder, make sure to have a reserve on your auction ao you don't end up losing money at least.
    Good luck to you

Puppetise, these look better than mine, and I'm ten years your senior, so I wouldn't sweat it. If your stuff looks this good now, you'll be in high demand by the time you're out of school. I'll say this, as far as eBay goes: presentation sometimes counts for a lot, regarding whether something sells, and for how much. Haven't seen your auctions but I know that less-desirable stuff can sometimes go for more than it ought to, if it's presented well. And of course there's building a reputation and all that.

But what do I know. I'm a snot-nosed college grad workin' for The Man.
  16. puppetise Member

you sound tthe spliting image of peter parker from spiderman lol thanls for the comments guys and tips do you guys sugest building bunches of foam heads and bodys to keep for stock
  17. SesameKermie Member

Be careful about that. Foam does have a shelf-life and will eventually crumble. I don't think it is such a bad idea, but remember to rebuild your stock or use it before it starts deteriorating.
  18. video567 New Member

I also agree with the presentation, i have sold items that i bought for 33 cents for almost 40 dollars. alot of it depends on what people are looking for. if there is a story behing it or even making sugestions as of what can be done with it. if you have used the puppet in a school function that got some reviews, post the review especially if it mentions the puppet. be creative and good luck, i wish this internet thing was available like it is now when i was growing up, i could be way ahead like you are now.