PRO's (not Cons) to Disney buying the Muppets

Kye

Reaction score
OK, OK, ENOUGH!!

There are too many threads filled with people who are very upset that Disney might buy the Muppets. But I for one, think its a marriage made in heaven.

Lets throw our mutual dislike for Eisner aside and discuss the possible Good things that could come out of this arrangement!

REMEMBER THIS THREAD IS FOR POSITIVE THINGS!! :eek:

The first thing That I will add to the list is Stability! The muppets will finally have permanant home! I dont think it will be sold in 5 years, Instead it will be promoted as a independent part of the Disney magic. And yes, I think thats a good thing!

any other thoughts?

Luke

Reaction score
Unless you're a fortune teller there is absolutely nothing to say that it will be promoted as independant anything or that the way Disney handle them will be 'stable' - granted they will have longterm ownership but will the Henson Company ? People here care about them just as much as the Muppet Brand.

About the only positive things you can probably definitely get out of a Disney ownership are :-

longterm ownership of the Muppet Brand
greater amount of merchandise available to mass retailers
more wider distribution of Henson TV shows
more experienced management direction
better facilities (if available to them)

You can't really say anything more on whether they will be better promoted until you see how Disney handles that when the time comes, and can't say whether the Theme Park prescence will be enhanced or they announce any new production deals for the Muppets. I don't really see much else going for it yet.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Classics from the Henson libary on Disney's network. That's what I would look most forward to.

And personally, I like Eisner. I don't know why, I like the way he hosts Disney's anthology show. I don't know, he's like a Letterman-type figure. But unlike Letterman, he seems to like the Muppets. :stick_out_tongue:

Kye

Reaction score
Luke, cant you see how increasing the brands awareness with a new demographic, kids under 14 could dramatically increase the Value! Its basic Economics. Right now there are a bunch of dweebs, like me who kinda want to keep the muppets as a personal relic from from our own genre. But if we truly care about the longevity of the muppets, then you have to accept Disney.
Heres your options: (mind you, these are speculations)

1. Disney purchases the muppets. The brand becomes slightly more" cheecky clean". And Kermit, piggy, and fozzie live a long, wealthy life.

2. somebody else buys the muppets, trys to promote it and fails, because kids dont know enough of about the muppets to compensate the purchase. Kermit and Friend lose value again... and eventually the brand dies everywhere, exept for our imaginations, and twice a year on AMC or something.

Now ask yourself... even though option 2 is just speculation, it is very possible, are you willing to risk that. I hope not. That would be incredible selfish...

NOW ask yourself, what would Jim have wanted

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
I don't know if the Muppets will become more "cheeky clean," but hopefully the Classic Muppets will get more exposure and activity and Henson's new preschool shows (which they do more than anything) will keep, mmmmm, flowing as well.