Prototyping and pattern making

TherianPrime

Reaction score
Okay, so there's a couple puppets that I've got ideas for that I've got that would require shapes that I wouldn't know how to draft into patterns. I do remember my mother having a Tailor's dummy she used to make patterns for clothes she designed so in that same vein I've come up with a way that I think may work for me.

What I was going to do is make some paper-mache forms in the shapes I need. Then I can mark where I think the best places for the seams would be. Pin, mark and cut some tissue to the form, then transfer it to butcher paper for a more durable pattern. It seems like a lot of work but it should give me exactly the shapes I need.

Couple questions ... when designing the shape, should I have the mouth open (if so how wide) or closed -- my gut says at least partially open so that there isn't so much stress on the joint when moving the mouth.

Second, any advice on how to get the finished pattern into the computer for archiving?

Also any tips/tricks/sage-advice on how you guys prototype and make patterns would be really helpful

Thanks in advance.

pjpiperhop

Reaction score
If you are interested in making a prototype and pattern, I would highly recommend Dave Privett’s FROM SKETCH TO SHOW PATTERNING A PUPPET DVD. Dave has an excellent technique for making a prototype and developing a pattern from it. http://www.playsoup.com/store/video6.htm
I hope it helps!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Always pattern a puppet with the mouth open, not closed. You can scan patterns in to the computer with a scanner. I just mentioned this in another thread, but check out my Guide To Puppet Building Resources as it has lots of resources that can help, especially the links section.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I have the Playsoup video and it is awesome! I totally recommend it! It is very technical and goes about puppet building in very easy to learn steps.