Public Memorial for Fred Rogers

wolfy

Reaction score
Hi, all:

A public memorial for Fred Rogers has been scheduled in Pittsburgh, PA for all his fans.

The family felt that, since there were so many people who cared and were thoughtful and missed him, and were still sending cards and flowers weeks after he passed on and the private funeral had been done, that they would let the public mourn him as well (a kind of en masse memorial).

The following news blurb was in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on March 22, 2003. Sorry it's taken me so long to get it out to you...

=======================
Fred Rogers - 1920-2003

Pittsburghers will get a chance to share their grief over the loss of Fred Rogers at a public memorial service May 3 at Heinz Hall, Downtown.

The funeral for Rogers, who died Feb. 27 at 74 of stomach cancer, was a private affair attended by family and a few colleagues. But Hedda Sharapan, associate producer of "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood," said e-mails, letters, flowers and gifts are still arriving at Family Communications, the company that produced the popular children's show.

"When the decision was made that the funeral would be private, we knew we'd have to do something [for the public]," said Sharapan. "So many people want to be part of something to honor Fred. People who had connections with us want to be part of a memorial for him, and people who knew him through the television program felt a very deep connection."

===========================
You don't have to be from Pittsburgh to attend, by the way. I'm sure they'll let any one who cared about and misses Mr. Rogers come. I'll let you know if I hear anything more about this prior to the memorial date.
wolfy

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Thanks, Wolfy, maybe I'll have to go pay my respects. We're only a couple hours away.
Erin

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Erin,

If you do plan on attending, please send me an e-mail.