Punch And Judy

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Regarding P&J's Violence

No, not Peanut Butter and Jelly's Violence, but Punch and Judy's, this from the website linked above:

"But what about the violence?

Some people worry that the Punch and Judy Show, with its "knockabout" humor, may incite children to violence. Punch professors know this isn't so. Having watched thousands of children enjoy Mr. Punch's antics, performers have seen first-hand that children do not emulate Punch's bad behavior. In fact, the opposite is true. While watching the show, children blithely take on the role of the principled parent who scolds the bad child, Punch. When Punch denies his misdeeds, the children shout out "Oh, yes you did!" They are very vigilant and serious (in a silly sort of way) about catching Punch in the act of mischief-making. They scrutinize Punch's behavior with the dedication of the most righteous moralist, and they have a marvelous time making sure Punch doesn't get away with anything."

Seems plausible. Huh?

Anyhow, no scripts there. :frown:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
PUNCH AND JUDY SCRIPT!!

oops...it posted twice. hmmm.... :confused:

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
IT IN A BOOK

Its in a book I checked out at the libary, called "The art of the Puppet" it verry cool and has it in there

and they showed this to little kids too!:eek:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Just to put the whole Punch and Judy violence thing in a historical perspective, it's important to remember that as late as the time of American Civil War families would pack lunches to go and watch battles fought or people being hanged. Fortunately, our ideas about "entertainment" have evolved.

Or have they?

jediX

Reaction score
Watching people eating bull te.......gosh I never know what words are appropriate here, lets just say "private parts" on 'Fear Factor' isn't exactly "evolved" entertainment. :wink:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
TO watch Punch and Judy in England would be soo cool!! :smile:

And to think, all that violence was so funny all those years ago.

ultimately, doesn't Punch end up dying and the devil and he meet up and he kills the devil?
I blieve that he makes the baby cry, and then hits the policeman and then hits the clown, na dhits judy and is told to look after the sousages, that a crocidile takes the S.s so teh devil comes and Punch turns him into Sousages...or something...

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
I never said I didnt think it was at leat a little funny... hehehe... its just violent. He kills (by beating them) 10 people, the only person he did NOT kill was the prostitute (sp?) I just think that the "hidden meanings" are funny, by reading that I feel like im back in 10th grade reading and analizing "oedipus the king" its just so funny the way stuff works like that. I think that would make an interesting college paper... you know? and it would be sorta original cuz it seems like everyone knows WHO Punh and JUdy are, but have never read the tale, I just find it very interesting. :big_grin: :excited: