Puppet Costuming

SesameKermie

Reaction score
I know that it often depends on the character, but how far should someone go when designing a puppet's costume? Say for instance someone was doing a puppet staging of "Hello, Dolly!" and the puppet playing the lead is a sesame -style monster. Should the monster be fully clothed in a Gibson Girl style costume or are there only parts of the costume that should be used? How much costuming is needed to convey a character before you get too wrapped up in the details?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think you could get a lot of comedic mileage out of the fact that it's a monster in a dress, so I would go for the best-looking Gibson Girl dress you can get.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Thanks. I hadn't seriously thought about doing that, I was just using it as a "for instance." However, now that you point it out . . . :big_grin:

I guess what I was getting at is why Big Bird would just wear a collar and a tie, but Statler and Waldorf have complete suits. What defines how much of a costume to make?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
That really gets in to character design, which is a big, complex topic. For example, for the project I'm doing right now, most of the characters have very detailed, complete costuming because they are supposed to inhabit a very realistic world. Then there are exceptions, like a bunch of cockroach characters, because the reasoning is they've just put their clothes together from stuff they've salvaged (doll clothes, small household items, etc.). Then there are alleycats and stray dogs with no clothing because, well, they are alley cats and strays.

It really depends on what the character is supposed to do and who they are supposed to be. There is also the overall look, feel or design of your production to take in to consideration. I don't think there is a right and wrong decision, just whatever works for you and you are doing.

If you do some Googling, there are some very good articles on character design and costuming, as it relates to animation.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think the humor is in that Big Bird is a bird--an animal. Animals in any clothing is usually considered funny. Statler and Waldorf are humanoids, so for them to go naked with only a collar and tie isn't funny, it's dirty--especially since they're old men.

The thing you need to consider is what message are you conveying? Is it comedy or drama? What characters best fit the mood you want the audience to feel when they watch your staging? Sometimes less is more while other times the details make all the difference.

I agree with Buck, though: It's a monster in a dress--go all out! That'll be funny as anything.

MGov

Reaction score
Statler and Waldorf are humanoids, so for them to go naked with only a collar and tie isn't funny, it's dirty--especially since they're old men.
It might be funny. Depending on what color the tie is.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
I could just see it: A huge necktie long enough and strategically placed on each so that they're "decent." As they go by two ladies on a park bench, the audience hears:

"Did you see that?"

"Yep. I did. Those outfits sure need ironing."

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand. In a case like that costuming is a large part of the gag. What about cases where the costuming is secondary to the skit?