Puppet lips

ddavisborg

Reaction score
I am currently using a pattern from OWS to make a puppet. I would like to adapt my pattern and make lips on my puppet. Has any one else done this before? If so, did you adapt the head skin pattern of the puppet and use a different color of fleece for the lips? I have also thought about using fun foam and glueing it on. Any ideas?

puppets_etc

Reaction score
I would think (mind you, haven't done it, YET) that it would work if you were to make them seperately from foam, cover in different color fleece and use very small stitches to sew them on by hand.

I decided to try and switch to just foam & spray paint from ideas in "The Foam Book", but haven't gotten very far yet. Head has form, but nothing else.

:embarrassed: Maybe I should just be quiet until I actually DO something.....

Deb:flirt:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You could try making the lips out of foam (as was suggested), covering them in fleece and then sewing them down on top of the puppet head. Most of the Kids on the Block puppets are done that way.

Hope that helps!

Phantom

Reaction score
It's funny that this topic came up. I do not pretend to know much, but I did this for the first time today and am extremely happy with the results.

I first cut the lips out of 1" foam then I carefully shaped them using a belt sander (use caution with power tools, fingers do not grow back). I then applied felt using contact cement. The foam gave just the fullness for which I was looking.

Ben

Note: If anyone does try sanding foam, please be careful. I have "sanded the hide off" several times and it isn't fun. :eek: Actually, this may be overkill because shaping with scissors or a razor blade along with stretching and pulling fabric would probably give the desired look.

ddavisborg

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the ideas. I think it would be much easier to make the lips seperate and then sew them on. I use clear thread so I think I could sew them on without the stitches showing. I think I might use some hot glue to get them set in place before I get to stiching them on. The puppet I am working on right now is a black light puppet with orange skin so I think I will try using the pink black light material for the lips.

primig2000

Reaction score
a very god way to create lips

ddavisborg said:
Hey thanks for the ideas. I think it would be much easier to make the lips seperate and then sew them on. I use clear thread so I think I could sew them on without the stitches showing. I think I might use some hot glue to get them set in place before I get to stiching them on. The puppet I am working on right now is a black light puppet with orange skin so I think I will try using the pink black light material for the lips.

when my puppets need lips, i often do it with styrofoam. you can shape it very detailed and then you can cover it with fleece.