Puppet Making Help

I M WOMBAT

Reaction score
Hi! Im new as of TODAY!
I have created a frew sculpted foam (like styro) heads, and made a wombat out of it. -no he does not look like a true wombat - but hey....artistic liberities! I have been bitten by the bug, and I am currently planning to build a shop - JUST FOR CREATURE CREATION! I am totally amped and can not wait! BUT - I am a true newby to the puppet making world. I have great concept art, and have most of the creatures in my head, but the conventional sock-puppet techniques that I know will not get me to the exellence level that I want to operate at. I want Muppet/Henson quality creatures (limitations and experience taken into consideration). I need information. the more the better. I will be a leader in cool/afordable puppets. I just need some guidance from some of the seasoned veterans. I am willing to apprentice, hang out, form friendships, email, call, fly (I think I could glue on enough feathers), or whatever it takes. I am open and teachable. PLEASE RESPOND. I am a life long Henson freak, and someday hope to leave my legacy for my children.

-Wombat

Beebers

Reaction score
Welcome to you.

Something that seems to happen a lot here is that folks post before reading any of the threads, seeking what you're seeking.

The best thing you can do is first take the time to really read both current and past puppetry threads here. It's a world of information and help.

I would also highly recommend that you join Puppeteers of America. Visit their site.

Good luck.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Oh, speaking of which, Buck, I tried out your methos for rod arms. It works wonderfully! Only, I'm having some trouble getting the arm rod to stay on the little tub. I didn't get a copper rod, unfortunately, but I've tried hot glue, no go, tape, yuck. Any suggestions?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
It only works if you soder the rod in to the tube. I haven't found away around that.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
It only works if you soder the rod in to the tube. I haven't found away around that.
Hmmm. okay. I'll try it. I just hope it works.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
It should if it's done correctly. There's a link to a soldering tutorial in the article on my site if you need help with that.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
It should if it's done correctly. There's a link to a soldering tutorial in the article on my site if you need help with that.
It will work if it's not copper?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
It will work if it's not copper?
I think you have to use copper. People here have told me that steel rods can be soldered too, but I've never been able to do it (maybe special equipment is required?).