Puppet making

BorkBork

Reaction score
i'm still in the process of learning myself, and have come really far with it. But in the beginning i would feel really bad if it didn't turn out as i had imagined. But then i just left it a cupple of days and thought alot on what went wrong, and came up with brilliant solutions that i applied on the next version of the puppet. One of the big secrets with learning this stuff is patience, and you cant expect to build an advanced proffesionally looking puppet the first, second or efen 10:th try. It will have to take time, and it really pays of to try and try, make changes to the pattern and so on. Really try to understand how the pattern works, what does different patterns do to the shape of the head, body and so on. This is where days and days of heavy thinking come into the picture. You really cant become a proffesional puppet-builder over night, it has to take time.

If you are a beginner, and i am not just talking to you, i mean anyone, it really helps if you buy the foambook - a really great book that teaches you some basics about how to treat foam.
Another great media is Creating Custom Puppets. A great video from www.armslength.com
It teaches you how to assemble a foam puppet. Don't be frightened by it when you watch it the first time. The headpattern looks really advanced, but really it is not. It's actually very easy, and you will learn that as you progress.

Well, that's all i got for now :smile: hope it helps all of you beginners out there. Keep the faith up, and believe you can do it. Even if it seems hard in the beginning you will learn eventually. And i'll repeat myself again, if it's tough, take a few days of and think about what you did wrong, and it will help.

/Anders

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Yeah, you can't let the initial results upset you. The first puppet'll never look right. Well, unless you didn't have anything specific in mind, but that's darn near impossible!

Just don't let your first shot at it upset you. "When if at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
I'm making a Boppity puppeet. I'm gonna get some mattress
foam and fur. I'll try to start today. I was figuring just carve
Boppity's head and beak and then hollow it out. Oh! I need some
ideas for the eyes. What would be good? I have some all-purpose
ping pong like balls.
Oh, doctort13, I am just starting. I just have really big plans.
If mom gets the foam, I can finish by June 5.:smile:

-:zany:

BorkBork

Reaction score
i think you should try the half inch foam, glue down the middle-version, it's alot more ieasy then carving a block of foam.

/Anders