Puppet Performance

spritegage

Reaction score
Hello,
I am Gage, a young puppeteer and hope to make it a career someday. I do not have much support with family ("How many puppeteers actually made something of themselves?") and that stuff.
Anyway I am writing a musical and hope to do a small mini series through via youtube so I can get criticism.
Any simple reading on the illusion of bringing a puppet to life?

Thanks,
Gage
:excited::coy::smirk:

mrhogg

Reaction score
Are you looking for tips on performance? Building? Filming?

shtick

Reaction score
Welcome spritegage,
There are some books, but the best way to learn is to watch. Watch as many performances (video or live) as you can. The more you watch the more you'll learn. Of course trying out what you see and practicing it goes without saying. Practicing in front of a mirror helps.

I find that doing lip sync exercises is a good way to start. Try to start off the way Jim is teaching in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo4Pr-K3SCc),
then move on to doing lip sync to some songs. Film your performance, or do it in front of a mirror. Refine your technique.

There are some short clips that can start you off, and a wealth of knowlege on the subject online. Do some research.
Paul Lewis has a short series thats pretty cool. Its called Hand Puppets & Puppet Shows. Its under the expertvillage channel on YouTube.

Happy Puppeting!

:smile:

spritegage

Reaction score
I have seen the Paul Lewis video series before, and have found it most helpful.
I am writing a musical quite like the broadway puppet show Avenue Q. Though it has one puppet, Davey, played by me, I have to sing 2 songs by my self.
As for books, I can not find ANY. Where I live it is not popular at all, so I have the computer to guide me...