Puppeteers Visible or Invisible

ChinoXL

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyones opinion is on seeing the actual puppeteer does that affect the realism of the character for you?

kbug67

Reaction score
It depends, When i do filmed work i always dont want any of the puppeteers in shot but when i do live work i think its better to have the puppeteers visble

Blink

Reaction score
Hey ChinoXL,

I personally don't believe that seeing a puppeteer affacts the quality of the character or performance. A good puppeteer can emote whether fully visable or not.

However if it is a technical question, like "Should we see puppeteers during a video/film shoot?", then I would say the performer should be unseen. Visually it is distracting to watch a good puppeteering performance on screen and then suddenly see an arm or a head pop up.

It all depends on the menaning of your question (as fivefingers has alluded to).

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i agree i dont think seeing the puppeteer "kills the magic". but people argue with me about it saying its unprofesional and that i kill the illusion. but from experience i notice the kids and even adults stare at the puppet when they talk to him and not to me if i am there...as for film id rather be hidden but live i think is fine

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I rather enjoy seeing the puppeteers, it's such a thrill for me, plus a lot of the time I'll "study" some of their techniques at puppeteering to help me with my puppeteering.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
It depends on the audience. In live performances it is professional to have the puppeteers visible. It is next to impossible to keep them hidden at all times, not to mention difficult to work with. Look at 'Avenue Q' and the 'Lion King' for instance. They are huge hits and their puppeteers are visible. On the other hand, :smile:o ) In video/recorded purposes, a stray arm or head can be distracting. It's all how you present it.

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
I tend to concur with the idea that, depending on the production, puppeteers can be visible with no ill effects to the puppetry. Of course, behind-the-scenes stuff is great fun to watch. As for personal preference, however, I greatly prefer to be out of sight of the audience, as I am very shy. :wink: