Puppetry Resumes - Correct Format

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Hi-ho!

Does anyone know the correct format for a puppeteering resume? I know how to do one for acting.

--Scraps

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I don't think there is one official format, but generally it should conform to a format similar to an actor's resume. Be sure to specify what you did exactly for each puppeteering role. For example if you were the head on a live arm puppet you might want to credit yourself as the lead puppeteer. Likewise, if you only did an arm or eyebrow or something like that you should credit yourself as an assistant puppeteer or just puppeteer.

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Thanks very much, Buck Beaver!

One question though: If one of the puppets was atmospheric, no speaking etc., is that still considered lead? (For a children's play, I performed a bird rod-puppet who flew along with three live actors, to help create the illusion that they were flying.) I guess the question actually is, do you distinguish between the size of the role? For an actor this is done by saying "Lead, Supporting Role, Featured," etc.

--Scraps

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I would list that as "puppeteer."

Are you sending in a video, too?

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Fozzie -

Thanks!

Regrettably, I have no video of any of my performances (well, except for my baby sister's first birthday party, but I wouldn't really want anyone to see that!)

I have found the negatives of a bunch of picture I took of twenty or so puppets I designed for the above mentioned children's show.

It's wild. I've had some opportunities in puppetry open up for me lately, and I never really considered it as a viable area for me to pursue before. So I haven't really kept up with things (photos, video, a resume) as I have with my acting.

--Scraps

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
ScrapsFlippy said:
If one of the puppets was atmospheric, no speaking etc., is that still considered lead.
No. This can be a little confusing, but generally "lead" puppeteer refers to being the lead puppeteer for a particular character (who has multiple puppeteers). If you did "atmospheric" puppetry you would usually be listed as a background puppeteer. To use the term "lead" would be misleading.

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
No. This can be a little confusing, but generally "lead" puppeteer refers to being the lead puppeteer for a particular character (who has multiple puppeteers). If you did "atmospheric" puppetry you would usually be listed as a background puppeteer. To use the term "lead" would be misleading.
Ahhhhhhhh. Got it. So to put it in Muppet terms, on Rowlf Jim Henson would have been the "lead puppeteer," and whoever operated the left hand would have just been credited "puppeteer." A random penguin or monster passing through the frame but not assigned any specific lines or business would be "back ground puppeteer." Anything else would just be "puppeteer."

Sorry to beat the dead horse here. I just want to make sure I understand.

--Scraps