Puppets/Humans/Set building

GaryBaum6566

Reaction score
Been awhile since I last posted, I'm hoping I can find an answer to my question here.

I have been in contact with a new family entertainment company that is interested in producing a children's educational series that I created (I'll give more details on that at a later date, I promise). Anyway, I'm trying to work out the details of the set design. Much like the Muppets, this would require the puppets I've designed to interact with human actors. I've always presumed that the sets would be built on a platform, so the puppeteers can move around freely, but I'm trying to find out more information, tips and tricks and stuff like that. Anyone able to help?

I will admit, I'm still somewhat shocked over the possibility that this dream of mine may (yes, I said "may") come true. Hope it leads to something positive. If not, well, I'd still like this information, could always go someplace else with it.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Ideally you'd want to build the set about 3 1/2 feet or so off the ground with platforms for the actors to stand on and "trenches" for the puppeteers to operate in. If you pick up some of the "Making Of" Muppet books they have some good photos to use for reference. There's also at least one old thread on here about this.

I'm not sure if you have experience with set design or not for television or not, but this is generally the kind of thing you really need an experienced set designer for. I've seen shoots where they build a beautiful looking set but it's not very functional for either the crew, or the puppeteers or both and it causes lots of problems. There's a lot of different factors to take in to consideration like lighting, camera angles, etc. A good way to tackle this might be to do some rough conceptual designs and not worry about the technical aspects (exact dimensions, height, etc.) for now. If the project goes in to production they should be willing to hire a professional set designer to take your conceptual designs and translate them in to physical plans.

You might also want to try contacting the Puppet Centre in Atlanta; they are nice people and might know someone who could help you out.

GaryBaum6566

Reaction score
Oh, I wasn't planning on building the set myself. I'm concentrating more on building the puppets themselves.

But, thank you for the information. I'll pass it on to the ones who're helping me with this project.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
well on sesame street they use some special custom made "dolley chairs"

they are adjustable, since the main sesame street set is not elevated , that way the puppeteers can roll around on the set , or be pushed and pulled into postion so that thier characters can interact with the humans, just another option

GaryBaum6566

Reaction score
ravagefrackle said:
well on sesame street they use some special custom made "dolley chairs"

they are adjustable, since the main sesame street set is not elevated , that way the puppeteers can roll around on the set , or be pushed and pulled into postion so that thier characters can interact with the humans, just another option
I may suggest something like that for the main set, could be easier. Right now, there are only five puppets that'll be appearing in the project. Two of the puppets would require two people, because of their hands (and I can't see the characters being done any other way).

With a little innovation, we can pull this off and come out with a professional looking project.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
It's worth noting that not platforming up is easier for the crew and set design (it's also cheaper) but it's not as good for the puppeteers who don't get the same range and ease of movement they would on a platformed up set.

Still it can definately be done, as Sesame demonstrates. The key is to keep the characters mobile and have a puppeteering dolly or special chairs like Ravagefrackle mentioned. Too many shows that don't platform up for budgetary reasons just plunk the puppeteer(s) down behind a counter with a human host and it's horribly boring.

GaryBaum6566

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
It's worth noting that not platforming up is easier for the crew and set design (it's also cheaper) but it's not as good for the puppeteers who don't get the same range and ease of movement they would on a platformed up set.

Still it can definately be done, as Sesame demonstrates. The key is to keep the characters mobile and have a puppeteering dolly or special chairs like Ravagefrackle mentioned. Too many shows that don't platform up for budgetary reasons just plunk the puppeteer(s) down behind a counter with a human host and it's horribly boring.
Here's the thing, the main set is a living room set. The concept is a human host owns this house. I'd like the idea of showing the set, including floors. The only other option was doing like Muppets From Space, where they had the sets built up on platforms and there were sections of the floor that could be removed. See the challenge?

The second set that will be needed, the building the sets up on platform will work.

I've got a few months to work this out. But, I will not have the puppeteers behind a counter. Too cheap.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Have you checked out Puppets Who Kill? I don't know if they platform that up or not (I suspect that with their budget they probably don't) but it might be interesting to watch in terms of staging and direction. They use a similar setting as their main set and It's really well done.

This sounds like a really interesting project.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
keep in mind sometimes you just have to do what ever is neede to get the shot, any puppeteer worth his salt is going to be used to getting in to tight cramped spaces in order to get a shot, thats all part of puppetry and performing, (within reason of course im not siggesting you put them in harms way )

you can only forsee so much, things will always change on set , and you will have to improvise as well, best laid plans of mice and men and all that,

so i suggest that you do your best to avoid any puppeteering divas, lol

GaryBaum6566

Reaction score
Buck, I'm familiar with Puppets Who Kill, but haven't seen any episodes. I don't think any network in the US is showing it. From what clips I have seen of it, I certainly would love to see it.

Now, the only question that remains is if there are any photos of these dolley chairs that the performers use. Personally, I don't think it's really important, a little improvising and we can pull it off, but it would be nice to have a reference.

I appreciate the assistance from you guys. I promise, I'll keep everyone informed as the project progresses. I'm hoping to have a website chronicling the progress.