Puppets who swear - The (R) rated Puppets

ChinoXL

Reaction score
I am wondering what everyone’s opinion is on this. Our first episode of Puppet Television had a mix reactions due to the language, some people loved it some people could do without it.

In my opinion it doesn't really bug me, I love shows like Puppet Who Kill. It might be because I’ve seen super extreme puppet shows like swearbear which probably goes a bit over board to get a reaction. I'd really like to hear everyone’s thoughts on this.

mrhogg

Reaction score
I'm very much in favour of swearing puppets, but I think it needs, as does everything, to fit the mood. dotBoom's swearing fits with the environment, and the characters, I think. I can't speak for Puppet television, but I guess the barometer is whether or not it feels forced. If it feels like those characters wouldn't swear, or that you wouldn't hear it, then maybe you shouldn't.

Man, what a noncommital answer. :smile:

leliebel

Reaction score
There is something profoundly wrong with puppets who swear.

And that's why it's so funny.

Now I haven't seen your work so this may or may not apply to you. I think you have to watch out when the fact that they swear is the actual joke. That gets boring very easily and can be regarded as offencive. Crude humor has to be that much better to survive.

I hope that helps.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
I feel puppets should swear. Why?

Its funny! It brings shock factor, and just to hear a puppet say that is funny because people aren't used to it. Now if they cuss alot, then I dont think it's good, but if they cuss normally than its fine. But it also has to fit, like Mr.Hogg said you can't just have them say cuss words in any place, it has to make sense.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Puppets cusing and sex "Make my puppets c--e" is an excellent movie

RubbeRoomStudio

Reaction score
That's funny... i've been contemplating doing things that involved puppets who are vulgar and just mean spirited... Not too bad to where it's tasteless though... But that brings me to a crossroads...

Take the light path and be able to do shows for kids, and make a name locally and whatnot, possibly get gigs, even public access...

Then there is the other road which brands you into doing just that one thing, and only really be able to put it on the net so a select few see... But when you actually decide to want to do a kids type show, they look back onto what you did before and say "sorry, but..."
:grouchy: - Hypothetically speaking
Oh, did i mention i think way into things???

mrhogg

Reaction score
I don't think the pigeon-holing is as big a deal as you might think, Rubbe. I don't have any personal experience with it, yet, but I don't think that just having adult puppets means people think you only do adult puppets. The reverse wouldn't be true, would it? If you do a kids show, would you expect to only be considered for kids shows?

Also, while part of the appeal of naughty puppets is that it's a subversion of our expectations of what a puppet is -- much in the way that the Simpsons and South Park subvert our ideas of what a cartoon ought to be -- that expectation doesn't, as far as I understand, exist everywhere else. In Europe -- unless I've been misinformed -- there's less of a view of puppets being necessarily a children's thing.

And in any case, even if you're just thinking "locally," does it really matter? To use the most obvious example, Jim Henson: Have you seen his earlier stuff? Have you seen the Muppet Show? It appealed to kids, but it was very adult stuff.

Also, don't forget that Henson did the kids show (Sesame Street) AND the more nuanced, adult fare, at the same time.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
mrhogg said:
I don't think the pigeon-holing is as big a deal as you might think, Rubbe. I don't have any personal experience with it, yet, but I don't think that just having adult puppets means people think you only do adult puppets. The reverse wouldn't be true, would it? If you do a kids show, would you expect to only be considered for kids shows?

Also, while part of the appeal of naughty puppets is that it's a subversion of our expectations of what a puppet is -- much in the way that the Simpsons and South Park subvert our ideas of what a cartoon ought to be -- that expectation doesn't, as far as I understand, exist everywhere else. In Europe -- unless I've been misinformed -- there's less of a view of puppets being necessarily a children's thing.

And in any case, even if you're just thinking "locally," does it really matter? To use the most obvious example, Jim Henson: Have you seen his earlier stuff? Have you seen the Muppet Show? It appealed to kids, but it was very adult stuff.

Also, don't forget that Henson did the kids show (Sesame Street) AND the more nuanced, adult fare, at the same time.
Same with Shari Lewis, she did a kids show and in the 70's she did raunchy late night comedy acts in clubs.

tutter_fan

Reaction score
It really depends on the situation. I think it's funny if someone cusses just for the heck of it, but it's not really funny if someone you know is cussing at you. That's how I feel aboiut cuss words!