Putting a Hat on Max

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
I've finally acquired the perfect hat for my puppet Max. What's the best way to attach it? Scotch tape? Velcro? Double-sided tape? Please advise! The hat is leather (OK, probably pleather) and his head is felt on foam.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
First things first: ALRIGHT! I was wondering if Puppet Max was ever going to acquire a hat like Cartoon Max, so this is exciting!

Secondly, I'm not sure, I'd think the hat would fit snuggly enough you wouldn't have to worry about something like that... MAYBE velcro, I don't know... I don't think Scotch tape would have the strength to be able to keep his hat on, and I think if you tried to use double-surface tape, it might ruin the material if you tried to peal it off after a while.

Yeah, I know, some help I've been huh? Maybe I've been watching too many of your drinking crap videos!:stick_out_tongue:

wes

Reaction score
may be straight pins, or they have corkscrew pins at fabric store?

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
pins

I have used safety pins for temporary attaching hats before. Depends on if you want it on permanent. If you wanted it on permanently, you might hand stitch it on.:cool:

pjspuppets

Reaction score
corkscrew pins

We use upholstery pins to hold hats and such onto foam puppets -- the "corkscrew pins" mentioned in a previous post. You can find them in the upholstery section of any fabric store. You just poke them through the side of the hat and twist them into the head... they're not long enough to go all the way through, but long enough to hold the hat in place.
Pat

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Timmy baby!

I stand corrected about the double-surfaced tape; it was the only way I could get Steve's Uncle Sam hat to stay on his head, and when I pulled it off, the tape DID have little traces of fur on it, but it didn't actually really pull any chunks out... like if you had tape on your hair and you pull it off and see a hair or two here and there on the tape.

So that might actually work better for Max than I originally thought, assuming you're still looking for ways to keep his hat on.