PVC Stage

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a very large stage. I'd very much like to have the stage so very versital that I could make it almost any size and shape in only moments. I have a plan but it would involve some sort of locking pins so I could slide one pipe inside of another. Sort of the same style as the alumium tripods have only in larger scale. If anyone else would be willing to share pictures of any of the grand stages you've performed in, it might be of benefit in design. I'll post a few pictures here very soon of the one I'm working on.

ddavisborg

Reaction score
I have a pvc stage that we built to travel with. We don't use any locking pins - duct tape is our friend. It makes it easy to put together and take apart. We cut our pvc in lengths of 4 feet so that they would easily fit in the trunk of the car and since all the lengths are the same it's a no brainer to put together.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
There are a lot of ways to build PVC stages so they don't need interlocking pins (or duct tape). Check out some of these links:

Children's Ministry has How to build an interlocking puppet stage ~ http://www.childrensministry.org/howto/howto5.htm

They Also Have a tutorial entitled How to build a tripod stage ~ http://www.childrensministry.org/howto/howto.htm

A number of different approaches to stage building are discussed in this article ~ http://www.bright.net/~jonadab/puppets/stages.htm

Also, a lot of Christian Ministry sites have free patterns, designs and tutorials. Try searching Google to find more resources.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
There are a lot of ways to build PVC stages so they don't need interlocking pins (or duct tape). Check out some of these links:

Children's Ministry has How to build an interlocking puppet stage ~ http://www.childrensministry.org/howto/howto5.htm

They Also Have a tutorial entitled How to build a tripod stage ~ http://www.childrensministry.org/howto/howto.htm

A number of different approaches to stage building are discussed in this article ~ http://www.bright.net/~jonadab/puppets/stages.htm

Also, a lot of Christian Ministry sites have free patterns, designs and tutorials. Try searching Google to find more resources.
Thanks Buck. I like the one about the tripods. I'm not sure that they will support the size of my stage though being made of $5 to $7 projector stands but that would make a great smaller stage. I've taken the plans for OWS's largest stage and plans I bought from VIP for their stage and combined both to make a GRAND STAND stage with windows in it so I and my other puppeteers can see what needs to be seen in the audience without them seeing us. I just want to find a way to make the Longer sections of PVC, somehow telescopic so it can be moved and changed even more than it already can. I want the stage to be able to go from having straight walls to being able to curve... to go from being say 24" high to 86" high at different places. I don't beleive its impossible and I put greater value on the professional appearence of my stage then many others (no offense meant to them :concern: )

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You might have more success working with (light) metal tubes than PVC if you want the pieces to telescope. It can also be cheaper if you can find a good supplier in your area. Many of them will even cut the tubes (which are usually manufactured in 20 ft lengths) to the exact length you need.

Sounds like you're building a great stage but simple, cheap ones are good too. Applefun Puppetry has a great, simple stage that was made from a fridge box - I never would have realized except I saw it from behind after the show. Mike Harding (the puppeteer) is really well regarded up here and has a lot of corporate clients so that proves that you don't have to spend a lot of $$ to have a good stage.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
You might have more success working with (light) metal tubes than PVC if you want the pieces to telescope. It can also be cheaper if you can find a good supplier in your area. Many of them will even cut the tubes (which are usually manufactured in 20 ft lengths) to the exact length you need.

Sounds like you're building a great stage but simple, cheap ones are good too. Applefun Puppetry has a great, simple stage that was made from a fridge box - I never would have realized except I saw it from behind after the show. Mike Harding (the puppeteer) is really well regarded up here and has a lot of corporate clients so that proves that you don't have to spend a lot of $$ to have a good stage.
I will check out prices for tubing because that might be the way to go. One thing I like about OWS's PVC stage is that its made with 1 1/2" PVC pipe which just looks soooo much more sturdy than the thinner stuff. And it has to be that thick just because of the length of curtain that is being hung from it. I know a fridge box makes a good stage cause I have 2 of them for a stage at the moment. They have been used as a workbench.:smirk:

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I almost forgot - there's a book called "Puppet Stages" by Dale VonSeggen (one the people from OWS) that sells for about $8 and might be worth checking out.

Amazon has it for sale at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ix=stripbooks&rank=%2Brelevancerank&fqp=keywords%01puppetry&nsp=score%01proj-unit-sales%02bin-fields%01none%02post-process%01docid-ve%02return-fields%01proximity&sz=10&pg=1/ref=s_b_pp/102-5264922-6993712
LOL thats where I got my large stage design mostly from. That and the see throw curtain I put on the front 3 panels. I got that idea from VIP stage. Those patterns from OWS are the nicest looking stages I've seen yet. That's why I started this thread. I wanted to know if there is anything out there that is even better than the puppet stages of OWS. I wish I could post a link to a picture of OWS's design for the stage I am using but I don't think I can do that legally. It might upset a few people as well. When I'm done I could possibly post a link to a picture of my stage since its not all together the same design they have in their book I bought.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I guess there just isn't much interest in stages in this forum. That kind of suprises me since presentation is a great part of performance. :cry:

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I've seen many PVC stages that I didn't care for really. I don't like a stage that allows the pipes to show on the ends. The pattern should allow for material to hide the pipes completely. I've seen plastic fold up stages that were made into many designs. This is great if you never plan to change your scenes around. Otherwise your stuck with it. Even if I am able to find the aluminum tubing in this area I still am looking for a way to put those pin locks into them so it won't come apart. The thing I'm concerned about with aluminum is if someone has an accident and snaps a pole or 2. PVC is easier to work with and cheaper to replace. Traveling can take a toll on equipment.