Query: Los Angeles puppetry institutions

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew any puppetry companies in the Los Angeles area that want performers. I'd like to get started on a career in puppetry as soon as I can, but I can't find any puppetry institutions that accept adult puppeteers in my immediate area.

Thanks in advance.

gfarkwort

Reaction score
Well.....Puppet Companies or Companies that have puppets don't really hire Puppeteers.....you can apply for them and if they like you they put you name on a list of other puppeteers who want to work. The purpose of this list is for Large puppet productions or if puppeteers aren't readily avaliable for work.

What I recommend is applying to a bunch of these companies & audition and stuff. And then start doing your own stuff or work for Disney or other Theme park attractions as a pupppeteer

Theme parks would look good on a resume because you do Lots of live work all day everyday.

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
Hmmm...if only I didn't live two hours from Disneyland... Maybe someday I'll move closer, and I have a friend who works there, and...that would just be too cool.

Thanks for the advice, though.

Now I just have to find some puppet companies.

Meep. A little help?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Try the L.A. Guild of Puppeteers Job Board. It's a good site to keep an eye on. Networking with members of that guild would probably be a good idea. It's often about being in the right place, at the right time and knowing the right people.

Tim

Reaction score
My first professional job was with Bob Baker at his theatre on 1st Street in L.A. You might call for an interview. I walked in and got hired!

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
Wow, that's cool. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Thanks for the references, everyone.

Anita The Great

Reaction score
And you might want to consider trying your hand at your own projects! With your enthusiasm, I'm sure you would be successful and it's a great way to learn. Buck's suggestions about the LA Puppet Guild is a good one, you'll meet loads of puppet people there. Keep us posted and good luck!