Question about software

biblebetty

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
hopefully someone can answer this. I brought the playsoup DVD (just love it!) and i have a question about something dave said. he was talking about making a pattern for a puppet and he said if you don't know how to draw you can use (some type) of software. he said he would rather draw but, use the computer software to fill in colors. does anyone know what he's talking about. is there a special software to create a three D pattern for puppets or is he talking about something else to use.
help?:confused:

SesameKermie

Reaction score
I haven't seen the video, but I would recommend something along the lines of Photoshop or GIMP. You'd still have to draw your basic design on paper, but then you could scan it into the program and use the various brushstyles and colors to try different effects to design your puppet. Incidentally, GIMP is free.

Jinx

Reaction score
The types of programs he refers to are applications such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Freehand, Corel Draw, etc.

As a graphic designer by day, these are part of my daily life. And because I have no ability to draw by hand, I personally use Freehand to draw my patterns.

If you are even somewhat capable of drawing by hand, I would say that these computer programs will really not be of much use to you as far as creating patterns.

There are 3d software applications available for modeling, and others for extracting flat patterns from said models, but they are VERY expensive, and have a VERY steep learning curve. In other words, not practically worth the investment. And at the end of the day, your puppets would probably not look much different.

We use 3D modeling programs where I work for designing custom plastic clips, fasteners and small machines. We are manufacturing items by the tens of thousands, and our products require very fine tolerances, and thus the 3D modeling programs are justified.

But if you can draw the front and side elevations of the head like Dave shows on the video, you'll do just fine.