Question about the Gorilla Detector

dhillman

Reaction score
I was looking at my opened box of the Muppet Labs and was wondering about the Gorilla Detector:

First, being that there is a small opening at the base of the helmet, is it supposed to "fit" on to something or are we supposed to be more creative in our "play time" and construct an apparatus that could fit in the base of the helmet. Such as a watch battery powering a christmas light... Thus making the eyes and detector light "light up" =) It would not be hard to do, but I was wondering if anyone else knew something I did not in this sense...

Second, I am aware that the pliability of Beaker's mouth allows for more movement, but is there any way to keep his mouth in one place other than gaping open? True, this expression is funniest on the shows when he is being subjected to soooooooooooo many things... =)

Thanks for your insight,

D

BigDumbWookiee

Reaction score
I think the gorilla detector was just molded that way, its not supposed to fit on anytihng on the playset. Your christmas light idea is really cool though! I may have to try it! I know light can shine through the top, but will it shine through his eyes?

Update:

Curiosity stirred, I went and tried this. I just rigged a quick thing with a AAA battery and a pink christmas light. Unfortunately, the head is thin in parts, and the light shines through it before it does these eyes.

If you want to get really creative, you could take out the little red beads, and attach small red LEDs to them, and run the wires out the base of the head. A lot of work, but may look cool! You could even go as far as drilling a small hole in the lab floor, running the wires through it and out to the back, rig up a switch, and voila, lab playset with light up gorilla detector!

As for Beakers mouth. Plastic like this has "memory"; so what you do, heat up some water to boiling, and dip his head in it (be careful though!), let it soften it, just a couple of seconds should do, then move his mouth to the position you want it, then immediately put it into ice water, and it should retain the position you put it in. Its also a good method for getting unsightly bends out of your figures. If they are warped, just put em in boiling water, and the plastic should "reset" to its original form.

dhillman

Reaction score
Thank you for the compliment on the Gorilla Detector idea and even more so, thank for the insight on Beaker's "memory" mouth!!!

The LED idea would acually be quite feasible... If one were willing to put the time and effort into it, the mechanism could be placed underneath the lab table. Then when it was wished to be used, either a slight rotation of the Detector or a switch (like you had mentioned) would work superbly....

Hmmmm.....

Perhaps we should design this and make it available to the MCF members :smile:

No charge, of course... :big_grin:

Have a great evening!!!

D

BigDumbWookiee

Reaction score
I have been considering picking up another set, to tinker with it. I'd also like to put some light effects in the table, to make the stuff look more vibrant and lab-esque.