Question about the Hokey Pokey

salemfan

Reaction score
I noticed that in all the versions of the Hokey Pokey I have ever seen, the character demonstrating it has never been a pony (because of what Pokey is). Interestingly though, why isn't it called the "Clokey's Pokey"? (That's who created Pokey.) Or the Humby Gumby?

Rose

Reaction score
Sorry? not sure what you mean? Could you send a video for an example?

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
Are you referring to the dance Hokey Pokey that children do? I don't think that has anything to do with horses. Pokey (Gumby's friend) I think was named so because horses tend to "poke along."

Yorick

Reaction score
I love Gumby, and I'm thankful Art Clokey's work lives on! As for the Hokey Pokey, I like that song too, and as far as I know, it's not related to Pokey from Gumby - but I've been wrong before :smile:

GonzoLover85

Reaction score
The real question I'm dying to know:

Is the hokey-pokey really what it's all about?

mr3urious

Reaction score
I do know that the song is called the Hokey Cokey in Britain.

salemfan

Reaction score
Are you referring to the dance Hokey Pokey that children do? I don't think that has anything to do with horses. Pokey (Gumby's friend) I think was named so because horses tend to "poke along."
Yes, I am referring to the dance Hokey Pokey that children do.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokey_Cokey

The inspiration for the song's title, "The Hokey Pokey", that resulted, came from an ice cream vendor whom Al had heard as a boy, calling out "Hokey pokey penny a lump. Have a lick make you jump". He changed the name to "The Hokey Cokey" at the suggestion of the officer who said that 'hokey cokey', in Canada, meant 'crazy' and would sound better
Before the invention of ice cream cones, ice cream was often sold wrapped in waxed paper and known as a hokey-pokey (possibly a corruption of the Italian ecco un poco - "here is a little")[2] An Italian ice cream street vendor was called a hokey-pokey man.
But then it goes on to talk about relatives with conflicting origin stories. So...I dunno.