Question on Background Singers

Splurge

Reaction score
In the song with Cookie Monster's that Parodies "Shaft" (I think it's called "Cookie Disco") who are the ladies who supplied the voices for the background singers? You know,

He's shaggy, he's blue
and he knows how to chew.

COOKIE!

I can pose a similar question to a song called, "I'm So Lonely" in which gospel singers back up a Jerry Nelson character.

Since Marilyn Sokol often provided the voice for many female characters early on, it would be so cool if this turned out to be someone famous like the Pointer Sisters.

ssetta

Reaction score
That is very true, but I don't think it was anyone famous. There was a female singer named Ivy Austin who I think started in the late 70s, so that's when she started. There was also Cheryl Hardwick, who is currently the music director of Saturday Night Live. They had songs such as "D Duah Duah" and "A Baby's Life." And they did things later, like The Oinker Sisters. Ivy Austin was a singer for many occasions. She sang lead on "Kids Just Love To Brush", "Cereal Girl", "Hair Brush", "Above It All", and I think she did Polly Darton sometimes.

BlueAM

Reaction score
Splurge said:
In the song with Cookie Monster's that Parodies "Shaft" (I think it's called "Cookie Disco") who are the ladies who supplied the voices for the background singers? You know,

He's shaggy, he's blue
and he knows how to chew.

COOKIE!

I can pose a similar question to a song called, "I'm So Lonely" in which gospel singers back up a Jerry Nelson character.

Since Marilyn Sokol often provided the voice for many female characters early on, it would be so cool if this turned out to be someone famous like the Pointer Sisters.
In "I'm So Lonely", do you remember what that character of Jerry's and gospel singers looked like. Please give me full descriptions and do the best you can.

Thanks!

BlueAM