Question on Muppet Christmas Carol cut scenes on DVD

JennyTablina

Reaction score
I picked up Christmas Carol last year and noticed there was a difference between my 1991 VHS version and the 2004 DVD. The entire song of "The love is gone" is cut from my DVD version. Why did Disney cut it?

BEAR

Reaction score
JennyTablina said:
I picked up Christmas Carol last year and noticed there was a difference between my 1991 VHS version and the 2004 DVD. The entire song of "The love is gone" is cut from my DVD version. Why did Disney cut it?

i dunno. Makes no sense to me. I think in the Making of feature on the DVD they mention the song being cut because it slowed down the movie or something like that. What I don't understand is why was it on the VHS copy. I have the video and I would think that it is much harder to fast forward through a slow boring song than it is to just push a button and skip to the next track on a DVD. It's weird. Also, I could be wrong but I don't know if it has much to do with Disney. After all, the Muppet Christmas Carol was made in association with Walt Disney Pictures, so both companies had the control to my knowledge. I could be wrong though.

Does anyone know if there is any chance for the 2 cut songs by Bunsen and Sam will be shown on the new re-release this year? It would be wonderful to see it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if the Room In Your heart and Chairman of The Board songs were actually filmed or if the audio was just recorded.

anathema

Reaction score
JennyTablina said:
I think this ought to go in the FAQ some time :smile:

The song was cut during editing the film as it was felt to slow the movie down (or possibly they were concerned about the running time - certainly when I saw the movie in the cinema, they actually had an interval in the middle). It was reinstated for the original 1993 UK/US home video releases (although not the German release - presumably to avoid having to have the song translated).

For some unknown reason, when Disney released the first DVDs in 2002, all non-US releases used the original theatrical cut of the movie.

BEAR

Reaction score
Wait a second. I just rented Muppet Christmas Carol and it is uncut. The song Belle sings is right there in the movie. I know they cut it from the theatrical release but they didn't cut it for the DVD or Video. What's the problem?

anathema

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Wait a second. I just rented Muppet Christmas Carol and it is uncut. The song Belle sings is right there in the movie. I know they cut it from the theatrical release but they didn't cut it for the DVD or Video. What's the problem?
As I said, it's only cut from the *non-US* DVD releases.

BEAR

Reaction score
anathema said:
As I said, it's only cut from the *non-US* DVD releases.

Haha! Yeah, figured that out after I posted. Thanks for clearing up the confusion. It was baffling me.:stick_out_tongue:

Beauregard

Reaction score
But why was it not included as an extra? That is what annoyed me.

It should definatly have been in Deleted Scenes.

anathema

Reaction score
And once again, it's missing from the 2005 UK DVD release.