Question on Puppet Heap patterns...

muppetguy

Reaction score
Hello. Ok, so I really want to make my own monster puppet and I see that they have the pattern on there. The thing is, this would be my first puppet I am ever building and I don't have a sewing machine.

Is it still possible to make one, or do you think it would be too hard for someone starting out?

Thanks!:smile:

muppetguy

Reaction score
OOPS I meant puppet project

I meant the puppet project website. I am soo sorry. Can I edit the title of the post so people would know what I'm talking about. The monster pattern they have for like 60 bucks.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
You don't need a sewing machine. You can hand sew it. I completely hand sewed my Gonzo puppet. In fact, with fur, it's probably better to hand sew because you can make sure none of the fur is caught in the seams. Otherwise, you'll spend as much time picking it out as it would to hand sew it in the first place.

:stick_out_tongue:

muppetguy

Reaction score
Yes...Yes

Thank you, Blink. Boy did I butcher this post up. So, now that everything is clear, what do you guys think?

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
You don't need a sewing machine. You can hand sew it. I completely hand sewed my Gonzo puppet. In fact, with fur, it's probably better to hand sew because you can make sure none of the fur is caught in the seams. Otherwise, you'll spend as much time picking it out as it would to hand sew it in the first place.

:stick_out_tongue:

cat brushes fix that problem pretty well, but yah...its obnoxious.

shtick

Reaction score
In my experiences hand sewing has always turned out a better result.

Granted, machine sewing is faster, but nothing beats a nice accurate, tight had stitched seam. Especially if you want your puppet to last.

I know Rick Lyon stands by the hand sewing method.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Honestly, I totally recommend hand sewing to people who *can* sew by hand. I've seen a few puppets that have been hand sewn that were sewn by people who have less experience & skill with that. A poorly hand-sewn puppet can fall apart after several uses and tend to not look as professional as one done by a beginner on a sewing machine. So for beginners, I'd say get a bit of your machine on & practice hand sewing tight stitches before you tackle a puppet..especially if you're using expensive materials.

I just think that needs to be said. :smile: