Questions on Prarie Dawn

fatblue

Reaction score
Now I take it one of you has a picture of her below your screen name, if this is the same character I'm talking of. Was she the one with straight blondish hair? There may have been many versions of her over the years. What were some of her early looks? And was she the one in many skits like the Super Grover' ones? I also think she was the one at the end of the 1991 TV Special with all the other muppets honoring Jim Henson after his untimely death. I've probably seen her zillion of times, but never knew her name, like I did with many the muppets.

Katzi428

Reaction score
fatblue said:
Now I take it one of you has a picture of her below your screen name, if this is the same character I'm talking of. Was she the one with straight blondish hair? There may have been many versions of her over the years. What were some of her early looks? And was she the one in many skits like the Super Grover' ones? I also think she was the one at the end of the 1991 TV Special with all the other muppets honoring Jim Henson after his untimely death. I've probably seen her zillion of times, but never knew her name, like I did with many the muppets.
Hi!
Yeah...I'm the one (unless there's another one) with a picture of Prairie Dawn next to her screen name.
Mostly her look has been the one on my avatar (picture) below my screen name.She mostly put on plays starring Bert Ernie & other Muppets. Unfortunately I missed the 1991 special honoring Jim Henson. Prairie is voice by a woman named Fran Brill. Prairie might have been in several of the Super Grover adventures,but it's been awhile since I watched Sesame Street.
That's about all I know.

fatblue

Reaction score
I remember the play skits with Bert and Ernie well. So THAT was Prarie Dawn. I knew I've seen her and just didn't know her name.

The tribute to Jim Henson was good, just very sad at the end. Anyone on here who did see it knows what I mean. All the muppets from SS, Fraggle Rock and Muppet Shoiw gathered at the end, she was one of them, and they sang a song remembering Jim Henson. Very good show all in all.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Prairie Dawn made a bit of a "comeback" in the past couple of years; she's a regular on "Play With Me Sesame" and appeared in a few "Letter of the Day" segments in season 35.

fatblue

Reaction score
I think the new generation of SS viewers should get acquainted with past muppets. Now if they only brought back ones like Beautiful Day (maybe a little less scary though), Big Jeffy, Splurge, showed more of Kermit and Bert, it would be real neat.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Prairie Dawn skit

A skit I saw a lot in the early 70's that I really liked and that I'm sure had Prairie Dawn, involved three muppets demonstrating telling a story. These three were called beginning, middle, and end. Prairie first introduces the beginning and end muppets, who are both purple but the end is taller. I think Henson may have talked beginning and I'm positive Oz voiced the end. The story went, "Once upon a time there was a king who had 3 beautiful daughters. And they lived happily ever after." When a puzzled Prairie asks them why the story was so short, they call for middle muppet (a green muppet) to join in. This time after beginning says, " Once upon a time there was a king who had 3 beautiful daughters" , middle continues by saying,"And the king decided it was time to try and find husbands for his daughters. But the imperial wizard..." And as he goes on and on the end muppet gets impatient and interrupts with, "And they lived happily ever after!" An argument then ensues with the 3 muppets and Prairie apologizes to the viewers for how awry things went. A very enjoyable and funny skit.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I'm surprised this skit never, as far as I know, has gotten any mention here at MC aside from my lone post 8 months ago. This skit was aired often in the early 70's and was real funny and memorable to me. And if any of my fellow first generational SS viewers like fuzzygobo, Sesame Mike, Rosewood, etc. recall the words to what the green middle muppet said (beginning and end were purple muppets) in his part before end cuts him off, I'd love to see them. We have Fran Brill (Prarie), Jim Henson (beginning muppet), Frank Oz (end muppet) and Jerry Nelson (middle muppet) all in this one skit!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
It sounded like fun! I would also enjoy learning about it, as well as other skits from the 70's.
As for Prairie Dawn, she's great! Did she have two different proformers over the years, because it seems her voice has changed.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Fragglemuppet said:
It sounded like fun! I would also enjoy learning about it, as well as other skits from the 70's.
As for Prairie Dawn, she's great! Did she have two different proformers over the years, because it seems her voice has changed.
To the best of my knowledge...no. Fran Brill herself is getting older,so that might explain why Prairie Dawn sounds different.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Many characters voices change over time, even if they always have the same performer.

For example, if you see a clip of Kermit The Frog from the Sam And Friends episode where he and Harry talk about visual thinking, or if you watch hey, Cinderella!, or if you see a first season Kermit The Frog sketch on Sesame Street (like the original recording of being green), and then compare it with one of Jim Hensons last performances as Kermit, such as Muppet Vision 3D, The Jim Henson Hour, or a Sesame Street song like I Love My Elbows, I Wonder About The World Above Up There, or On My Pond, and you'll notice a difference, even if not a very big difference.

Gonzo is also a character whose voice has changed throughout the years despite having the same performer. Compare Gonzo's voice in a first season episode of The Muppet Show with his voice in The Muppets Wizard of Oz. Sounds different, doesn't it?