R.I.P. Barbara Billingsley

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Barbara Billingsley will always be remembered by me as June Cleaver on "Leave It to Beaver" (as well as on "Still The Beaver") and of course the voice of Nanny on "Muppet Babies".
And yes- her role in "Airplane" is hilarious!
But at least she lived a pretty good long life at 94 years of age. But always sad to see her go. May God comfort her family during this sad time.:concern::frown::sympathy:

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I for one did not see that coming at all. She will be missed. :embarrassed::sympathy:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I never tied Nanny and her together until now, but she will be missed. I regret not growing up seeing any Brandy episodes :frown:

Dearth

Reaction score
I got my wife a set of Muppet Babies colorforms for Christmas, she loved that show when her daughter was a kid. She made a comment yesterday about watching a clip on YouTube made her feel like a kid again... I pointed out that it only took her back to when she was 25, not a kid, and she said, "well that feels like a kid now!"

Anyway, she never realized it was 'June Cleaver' as the voice of Nanny. I said I always pictured Barbara Billingsley's face from Airplane whenever Nanny spoke.

Which reminded me of a couple of years ago, our improv troupe did a gig for the local homebuilders association Christmas party. Another act was supposed to follow us, but the schedule got swapped around and we were asked if we'd go on last, which was fine with us.

We stood outside the door of the convention center so Wes and Steifon could smoke, and got into a discussion of funny lines from movies. The 'Jive Lady' from Airplane! was a unanimous winner, we were almost wetting ourselves as we reenacted the scene from memory.

So, I love the Jive Lady, and I love the Muppets. All of which led me last night to edit this fun but irreverent little mashup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0yFkwK7IJ8

Alex

Fraggline

Reaction score
Dear Barbara Billingsley,
I haven't gotten a chance to watch much of Muppet Babies yet, but I do know that you gave a great voice to Nanny. I am sure that, offstage, you were a very kind lady. Thank you,
Fraggline

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
[QUOTE/] since we just lost one of the great Sesame Street illustrators as well. [/QUOTE]
[in G. Radner voice:] we did?

Please tell me whom! I will be thankful for that!

Anyway, I'll never forget her--Ms. Billingsley was a part of my childhood. And of course :sympathy:

I'll never forget that night coming home, bawling because my favorite Muppet Baby video, Be My Valentine, was not at the library. :frown:
I owe her thanks, she made a character this once 5-year-old could always count on to know that Baby Rowlf was coming into scene in a few minutes. :smile: