R.I.P. Gene Wilder

Collgoff

Reaction score
I can't believe that Gene Wilder had died last wee.

snichols1973

Reaction score
I'm glad they released a couple of his movies to theaters this weekend, even though I didn't have the chance to see them. They chose Willy Wonka and Blazing Saddles. Which is fine, but I can't believe they're denying Young Frankenstein. That's easily one of my favorite movies, and some of my favorite Wilder moments.

DESTINY! DESTINY! No escaping that for me!

...Seda-give?!
:news: On October 5, Young Frankenstein is scheduled to have a limited re-release in select theaters with a live introduction from Mel Brooks:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/young-frankenstein-to-screen-in-500-theaters-with-intro-from-mel-brooks/

In addition, Y.F. is also scheduled for Friday, September 9, on TCM....

D'Snowth

Reaction score
"Select theaters," so that probably means it won't even be shown in my town. I remember being disappointed that the 25th anniversary re-release of HOME ALONE didn't come to my town last year.

Drtooth

Reaction score
:news: On October 5, Young Frankenstein is scheduled to have a limited re-release in select theaters with a live introduction from Mel Brooks:
That's good news. Saving it for closer to Halloween seems like a good idea, anyway. I was worried this was just passed over because Blazing Saddles is more accessible for some reason. Wonder if they plan for the original Producers as well.

That said, while I'm glad they showed Willy Wonka for the kiddies, Gene is easily the only good thing about that film for me. As I've said before, I hate both films ...well, not hate so much as they both pail in comparison to the original novel and both versions are tainted by the time they were produced (Willy Wonka looked like H.R. Puffenstuff puked all over the factory, the Tim Burton version is too Tim Burton Fangirly). Gene was far superior to the rest of the film and he didn't need be. He is my favorite of the two Wonkas, most definitely. Still, read the book, you won't be sorry.

As for parodies of Wonka, my favorite is the Word Girl episode. Mainly because instead of taking the obvious route, they decided to make their expy, Zachary Zany, a stingy, tightfisted, joyless corporate exec who points out how that isn't even his real name and it's all marketing. Then giving insanely small samples to the factory tour guests. And yeah, Fry and the Slurm Factory and Wasted Talent...but Word Girl was the most creative of the lot.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
That's good news. Saving it for closer to Halloween seems like a good idea, anyway. I was worried this was just passed over because Blazing Saddles is more accessible for some reason. Wonder if they plan for the original Producers as well.

That said, while I'm glad they showed Willy Wonka for the kiddies, Gene is easily the only good thing about that film for me. As I've said before, I hate both films ...well, not hate so much as they both pail in comparison to the original novel and both versions are tainted by the time they were produced (Willy Wonka looked like H.R. Puffenstuff puked all over the factory, the Tim Burton version is too Tim Burton Fangirly). Gene was far superior to the rest of the film and he didn't need be. He is my favorite of the two Wonkas, most definitely. Still, read the book, you won't be sorry.

As for parodies of Wonka, my favorite is the Word Girl episode. Mainly because instead of taking the obvious route, they decided to make their expy, Zachary Zany, a stingy, tightfisted, joyless corporate exec who points out how that isn't even his real name and it's all marketing. Then giving insanely small samples to the factory tour guests. And yeah, Fry and the Slurm Factory and Wasted Talent...but Word Girl was the most creative of the lot.
I've always said as good as some of the movies can be, Roald Dahl's books are far better. If you're lucky enough to get your hands on an original edition of James and the Giant Peach, Fantastic Mr. Fox, or either of the Charlie books, the original illustrations are a perfect complement to the text.
In 2000 Roald Dahl's estate commissioned Quentin Blake to re-illustrate these books. The result? Dog crap is being generous.

It would've been nice to see in Gene's lifetime if they ever tackled the sequel on film ("Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator"). Now we can only dream "What if..."

Last edited: