R.I.P Jack Klugman, Star of The Odd Couple (April 27, 1922-December 24,2012)

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
It's hard to believe this but Jack Klugman, star of the much-beloved sitcom, The Odd Couple, passed away today at the age of 90. He died peacefully at his home in California. He played Oscar Madison, the sloppy roommate to Felix Unger, played by Tony Randall. He also starred in the Academy Award-nominated 12 Angry Men.

Jack will be remembered for many generations to come.
(April 27, 1922-December 24, 2012)
R.I.P :cry:
We hope you have fun in heaven.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm familiar with the premise of the series, but I've never gotten to actually see it, save for excerpts from the pilot episode (probably the first episode in the history of television to have a naughty title). I understand he and Tony Randall both demanded a live audience because they disliked the laugh track.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Tony Randall and Jack Klugman did have an excellent chemistry together on The Odd Couple. I think that was one of those shows that wasn't the biggest ratings hit but has proven to draw ratings in reruns afterwards.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Tony Randall and Jack Klugman did have an excellent chemistry together on The Odd Couple. I think that was one of those shows that wasn't the biggest ratings hit but has proven to draw ratings in reruns afterwards.
I agree with that, Charlietheowl.

MissMusical12

Reaction score
Other than The Odd Couple, the only other way I know his name was that he originated the role of Herbie in the original Broadway production of "Gypsy" with Ethel Merman.
R.I.P Jack Klugman :cry:

Yorick

Reaction score
Thank you FF2012 for honoring Jack. Your post is super, like Jack's talent and humanity.

Princeton

Reaction score
Other than The Odd Couple, the only other way I know his name was that he originated the role of Herbie in the original Broadway production of "Gypsy" with Ethel Merman.
R.I.P Jack Klugman :cry:
Yes, all three leads from the original cast of Gypsy are gone now (Jack, Sandra Church, and of course the legendary Ethel Merman). In the production that I was in, our Herbie chose to emulate Jack as much as possible (particularly whenever he had to yell). There's probably not that many people alive today who saw the original production in 1959, but for those who know the character of Herbie, he absolutely must be played as the battered everyman that life continually took a bite out of. And IMHO, only four actors were able to pull that off: Jack Klugman, Karl Malden, the Herbie in my production, and the Herbie in a dinner theater production I saw in TX.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Yes, all three leads from the original cast of Gypsy are gone now (Jack, Sandra Church, and of course the legendary Ethel Merman). In the production that I was in, our Herbie chose to emulate Jack as much as possible (particularly whenever he had to yell). There's probably not that many people alive today who saw the original production in 1959, but for those who know the character of Herbie, he absolutely must be played as the battered everyman that life continually took a bite out of. And IMHO, only four actors were able to pull that off: Jack Klugman, Karl Malden, the Herbie in my production, and the Herbie in a dinner theater production I saw in TX.
Congrats on your Herbie in your production. Jack Klugman can't live on forever. People must go away in the real world, unfortunately. I agree with your comment, Princeton.

By the way, Sandra Church isn't gone yet. She's still alive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_Church