Radio Comedy

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I was wondering if there's anyone who's into radio comedy? For example: Bob Rivers, Cheech and Chong, The Goons, Weird Al, Dr. Demento, etc?
I've always enjoyed the artform since I was a kid listening to Imus in the Morning, yeah I know kind of surprising. lol I grew up more with a lot of adult comedy stuff and not so much kid shows. lol
I've enjoyed the General Patton sketches even though I barely remember any of them, manly the General shouting at the wimpy squeeky voiced character. Also some of the old Cheech and Chong sketches like Get out of my Room, Dave's Not Here, Sister Mary Elephant, etc.
I also like the novelty songs of Spike Jones and his City Slickers, Bob Rivers' song parodies and the other stuff from Dr. Demento.

I think it's an artform that's basicly gone, anything close is commercials that aren't even as funny in my opinion. I always loved the slapstick and how you would use your imagination in order to enjoy it with the sound effects and such. One of my favorites is a Cheech and Chong track called "Up his nose" and Cheech plays this character who brings his son to the doctor explaining how he keeps putting things up his nose to the point where it goes from coins to even a bullet. Chong takes a hammer *KABOOM!" and Cheech's character replies "Doctor you did it, all the change is coming out of his nose, and listen doctor, keep the change." lol Another favorite of mine is Moe Money where Chong is a music executive with a bad headache and Cheech is this annoying indie producer who comes running in with a punk rock band singing "Rudolf the Red nosed Reindeer" and Chong is hiding under his desk crying. lol

I'm starting to get into The Goons more. I bought this mp3 of a sketch featuring Blue Bottle where he needs to go into a tunnel and Blue Bottle finds a stick of TNT in there and his Captian tells him that it's going to take 10 minutes until the TNT explodes. "That's my Captain, he's so kind and royal because he always tells the truth.....your telling the truth aren't you?" "Of course." So Blue Bottle goes in with a lighted match "Hello, anybody in here? There's a dirty stick of dynamite in here you know. But not to worry, we still got ten minutes unt..". *KABOOM!* then Blue Bottle goes to his boss "You No Good Dirty..." lol

So anyway, anyone interested in radio comedy?

dwmckim

Reaction score
I'm very much into it. Longtime Dr. Demento fan here even though his radio show has been very spotty in terms of being available on Phoenix radio. But i still listen regularly to both his and other similar "dementia" style programs.

In fact this has been a good year for Muppets on such shows; most of them are doing their top tracks of 2012 right now and Cookie's "Share It Maybe" is on many of them as well as Gersberms by Hard n Phirm with the Swedish Chef. There's also Yoda mentions in Star Wars themed songs in this year's charts like "When You Wish Upon a Death Star" and "Tantric Yoda" and Muppet shout outs in "Luke, Are You Carrie?" and "I'd Buy That for a Dollar" (which includes a line about wanting the Muppet Show back)

And of course, i've long ago declared Julie Brown as "The Coolest Person in the Universe"

In the "songs in your head" category...i typically get the end of the Frantics' Boot to the Head stuck in my head. (The Frantics including Jim Henson Hour Muppeteer Dan Redican)

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I heard Dr. Demento has his show online now and subscriptions or something like that. I think I'll give it a try one of these months. I miss hearing Fish Heads. lol "Eat them up yum!" lol one of the weirdest ones ever. Bob Rivers has some good ones like "Chipmunks Roasting on an Open Fire." and his Elvis parody is really hilarious. I love Twisted Christmas, I have it on CD.