Random wonderings ...

RedPiggy

Reaction score
These are just some thoughts I've had as I've been watching Fraggle Rock ...

1. Do humans see Matt, if they see him, as a Muppet? A man? A creature?

2. Are there caves that serve as, well, latrines?

3. Why don't they just scratch labels of where the tunnels in Matt's room on the ground just outside the arch? It'd save a lot of trouble.

4. What is the point of Wembley's Flight? Everyone talks about the dangers, but it seems the main idea was that you can fly if your heart's in the right place. Isn't that a lawsuit waiting to happen?

5. How many sheets of paper would it take to build a map of Fraggle Rock? Seems like quite a bit, though Gobo and Matt both tend to draw real big. I'd love to make one, myself. File would probably be huge, though.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
The philosophy of Fraggle Rock is something I find quite engaging and extremely multilayered. Most messages conveyed in the series are so much more than the simple tale or idea of “bringing peace to the world.”

I believe much of what is covered in the final two episodes reveal how humans and Fraggles see and coexist with each other. In that case, Gobo and Doc were able to interact when, and only when, they both needed each other. As Gobo said, he was touched by Doc emotionally and Doc was touched by Gobo physically. That’s when the connection was made.

The same idea holds true for Matt. He represents the entire Fraggle race (creatures) as a single being and, of course, the entire human race exists in Outer Space. The magic of each species needing each other is constantly present. Matt and humans interact when, and only when, they each need each other.

The flying in Wembley’s Flight is metaphorical, as are so many other themes and concepts throughout the series. The importance is in recognizing the value of doing things for your own sake rather than for the sake of just showing off to others.

I think you can use your imagination for the other questions. :wink:

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I believe much of what is covered in the final two episodes reveal how humans and Fraggles see and coexist with each other. In that case, Gobo and Doc were able to interact when, and only when, they both needed each other. As Gobo said, he was touched by Doc emotionally and Doc was touched by Gobo physically. That’s when the connection was made.
It's interesting, though, that the other humans don't seem all that scared/concerned of Matt. He's just "there" when they do see him. I guess when a frog stars in Hollywood movies in their universe, it has to take a lot to faze them :wink:

Although there was that time Matt backed into a human in their house. The man didn't really "need" him. Oh well, I think too much :insatiable:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Personally, I've noticed that kids seem to have no problem having their eyes glued to Matt. It's the adults who seem to belong to either the "see" or "not see" group. Like Bazooka Beak mentioned, the fur-coated big guy in his house didn't need to see Matt. Matt was in his house.

I think some people are already naturally prone to seeing "the magic" and have no problems with Matt, etc. Also, like it's been mentioned as well, in a world where the Muppets exist, how shocked can you be?

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
^ Oh definitely, the kids just smile at him or walk right up to him :smile: