Rant in E Minor.

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Absolutely agree

Thank you all for your postings. I agree with you that the arts are not an easy field to make a living at, and if you want to its going to require alot of work and thought out planning. If I want to make a real go at making a living in the arts, complaining and acting like a little kid who can't have his way won't do anything positive. In the end, I'll only end up unemployable and extremely angry because I'm not thinking beyond the immediate problem. Who wants to work with someone who's always brooding and surly about their current situation and ready to tell you stories about how the world "owes" them and they still haven't "hit it big"? There are enough Willie Loman's in the world already.

One of the solutions is to find a regular nine to five job and to work with theatre and puppetry on the side. For the longest time I thought by doing that, it would be a sign of giving up and rolling over with what I wanted to do in puppetry. Looking at it now, it's a very smart thing to do, and the stupid thing would be refusing to find regular work and letting bills stack up because I'm still looking for me dream job. It reminds me alot of the puppeteer John Cusack played in "Being John Malkovich." Always in his shop working late into the night, performing on street corners while his long suffering wife stuggles to support them both because he refuses a non-artistic job. His reason is, "I'm a puppeteer."

mrhogg

Reaction score
You're not giving up the dream if you take a day job -- you're being pragmatic, and acknowledging that you're not making enough money from the puppetry/puppeteering work. You're certainly not saying you'll never make good money at it, or enough to be able to quite the job. What you're saying is that right now, for ends to be met, you need to do this extra thing.

It's what I do. ****, for the kind of work I do (which is primarily online, aside from the occasional puppet or two directly for customers) requires a good amount of money to keep things flowing: material costs of the puppets aside, there are the costs of being online, the hardware and software costs of setting up and maintaining cameras, video editing equipment, and the like. That money has to come from somewhere, and while I could simply keep a list of things I'd like to do if I had the money, I instead keep this other line of income I have, so I can afford to buy the stuff for the puppetry.

The only time you "fail" is when you stop trying to transition from the day job you HAVE to have to the day job you WANT to have.

ATG

Reaction score
Don't think that taking a "day" job means you aren't a dedicated artist! I've spent many, many years (Prior to Swazzle) doing regular gigs and working various "day" jobs in retail, and office work, and waiting tables. I never thought of myself as anything but a puppeteer and I snatched every chance to work with puppets and in puppetry. As I was developing my rep, I took those cheapo jobs. Heck, I even did some for free (usually for friends)! Yes, it is deplorable the amount of hand-holding and explanation required to get a decent pay rate for your work, and yes; many, many jobs will simply "go another direction" after you've put in all the legwork. It happens and we all just move on. Take heart in knowing there will be plenty of other jobs in your future that will go the exact same way!

Keep plugging away. Keep working at your own excellence. You will find your way to be creative. And know that you've got a whole community of shoulders to rant on. We've all been there and feel your pain.