1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

3. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Rare "Cracks" animation from 1970's Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by dycaite, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

I recently had a dream that I saw the clip. It was a lot different then people have described it, though. In my dream, it wasn't a girl laying in her bed imagining cracks on the wall. It was a mad scientist building a crack-like monster. Weird, how things come up, huh, :smirk:.

2. dycaite

dycaite Active Member

It has arrived :D

GonzoLeaper likes this.
  3. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

Wow, that was deranged animation on the Crack Master there. I was expecting the cracks to have a really deep, evil voice, and the music being REALLY scary.

Now I need to update my "Sesame Street Thriller" music video :D

4. crackmaster

crackmaster Member

Man, I am LOL'ing right now. You deserve a medal.

5. crackmaster

crackmaster Member

Oh my frickin' Baby Jesus, I am ROFLMFAO here. You should do that sometime. I literally had to get up from my chair and go to the bathroom, since I just ****** my pants laughing. Thank you, Muppet dude. Thank you.

6. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Well-Known Member

I love stories like this. I don't know if it's better that we actually got the short or if it would have remained a mystery through the years just for the thrill of it (which sometimes outweighs the actual thing), but as one of the YouTube comments said, even though we can now watch the short, the mystery of it still definitely remains intact. Now I'm just expecting the Crack Master to come through the screen and devour my soul into oblivion. :D The original artist is still unknown, and will most likely remain that way, so the mystery is still not over. Sometimes I just imagine them creating this short.

Now since we got this short, why can't we see the Margaret Hamilton episode? :D Persistence pays, though it's much more feasible to get a minute short over a full-length episode. I'm not gonna lie; a lot has been lost with the advent of technology and cell phones. Things like this wouldn't exist today, now that everything is DVR'd. All we have for this episode is a black-and-white photo and newspaper article; the mystery is thrilling. Has anyone ever met anyone irl or on the web who has claimed to have seen this episode?

So what's left in the SS-grail these days? The aforementioned episode, Out to Lunch, Snuffy's Parents Get a Divorce... what else? I recently stumbled upon the episode where Deena stays with Maria, and while watching it I had no idea of its significance or the character's rarity, but anyway: that character is annoying; like shoot her with a tranquilizer annoying. :sympathy: A lot of these things I discover by text and am interested just enough in so I YouTube them and see they don't exist, usually for odd reasons, and then they gain much greater significance than they would've otherwise just because of their rarity and mystique.

In a plot-twist, 'Cracks' is in the Margaret Hamilton episode. :D

So who do you think sent dycaite the short? The title card at the beginning would point to this coming straight from the vaults, so maybe an employee saw the demand online and snuck this baby out to make someone's day.

I'm also a little intrigued on how Jon Armond got the short. I listened to his video, and he was extremely vague.

btw, @Muppet dude: One simply does not Poop the holy grail. :D

7. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

Though now I'm not entirely sure if that is true. The episode that aired after it, Episode 0848, does have the "Cracks" segment, so I don't know if they'd show the same cartoon segment two episodes in a row. But maybe it's gone one of those really freaky cartoons by Etienne Delessert, like the mutant rabbit chasing the kids, or the apple tree monster, or one of those "face morph" segments!

Flaky Pudding and Blue Frackle like this.
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Unless the episode is just completely lost from the SW archives, the only thing keeping SW from releasing it now seems to be copyright licensing. They did manage to release some of the R2-D2 and C3-PO footage to coincide with The Force Awakens to youtube. Only way we can get the Wicked Witch episode otherwise is if someone manages to sneak it out of the archives. And we were lucky as heck to get Seven Little Monsters and Crack Monster out there. I don't think we'd be able to be that lucky in this case.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  9. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Was this a joke, or did you actually read it somewhere? The Muppet Wiki guide for episode 847 doesn't mention any segments that appear in the episode.

10. Blue Frackle

I was just joking, but it is possible, right?

11. Blue Frackle

There's nothing more I love doing on a Sunday night than revisiting the Crack Master drama. :D

Comment of the year here from a user on John Armond's documentary:
    I did some further digging into this thread to a post I hadn't seen before, which was such an interesting development to me:
    This is so *bleeping* fascinating; this is a real-life creepypasta here folks.

So more mysterious than the actual short itself is why the *bleep* was it so heavily kept under wraps by Armond's source? Jon basically indirectly confirmed in his docu that his copy was acquired from someone involved in the creation of the short, or one of their family members; why did they not want it to be seen? What's the difference between Jon seeing it vs. the internet? Maybe the creator felt bad that it terrorized so many kids so they wish to remain nameless? Reminds me of the abandoned Beach Boys' record from the '60s, 'Smile'. Something doesn't add up. :smirk:

12. dycaite

dycaite Active Member

Hehe, yeah, I like revisiting all the old threads and such every once in a while :)

Blue Frackle likes this.
  13. Blue Frackle

Hey, you came around! :) Huge fan!

The mystery still isn't over to me...
    Why? Why do they care so much about a 40-year old cartoon clip no one has seen? Sometimes I wonder what they would've done, if anything, to Jon if it got out. I don't know; it kind of seems like those people need a reality-check, but we can thank them for the whole aura surrounding this.

Btw, ever hear anything about the second documentary Jon was supposed to make? I think you stole his thunder, rendering it pointless.

14. dycaite

dycaite Active Member

And yeah you're absolutely right, there is so much to this that is still shrouded in mystery. There's been loads of speculation (and a few decent leads) as to things like who narrated it, who animated it, etc. but still no concrete info either way. I still have no idea why Jon Armond was put under such restrictive circumstances in the beginning, but I would really like to know -- I'd contact him myself to try and find out, but something tells me I'm not exactly his favourite person right now, heh...

On that note, while it certainly was not intentional, yes, I think that I may have as you put it, stolen his thunder. It's a shame, because I would still love to see a documentary on the topic, but I haven't heard anything about it for years, so I doubt it's still happening. But yeah, there was no way I wasn't releasing the clip the second I got it, so... Sorry Jon :/

Blue Frackle likes this.
  15. Blue Frackle

I bet he loves you, but I wonder how the original owners feel about it being online. A woman who worked for CTW said they don't own it, and have zero rights to it, so so much for their strict guidelines.

---

More thoughts...

"Divergent thinking"... how?

Maybe it's time to add a 'Cracks' page to MuppetWiki? I don't see why not. That could garner some more interest.

I know the articles are supposed to be concise, but it'll be hard to create a page for it without at least saying something about its rarity and ensuing search for it. It will be my first Wiki article submission, so I will try my hardest! I wonder if someone tried to before and MuppetWiki wants nothing to do with it, but just like any other Sesame Street animated segment it deserves its own page. I don't know how much I can talk about the drama though; I fear I'm pushing it by even bringing up Jon Armond. Half of my article appears to be a creppypasta, which I know MuppetWiki wants no part of. :(

---

Literally a minute after creating the article:
    I'll debate with him for a little, though I know there's no chance.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  16. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

What's all this obsessing over one cartoon from the show's like 2,000+ of them?

17. Blue Frackle

Did you read the thread?

18. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Yes, and my belief is: Who cares?

19. Blue Frackle

You might as well just go and shut down the Lost Media Wiki. :smirk:

It's just a real interesting real-life mystery. I guess now would be the right time to introduce you to A Day with SpongeBob... :D

Someone wrote this on the Lost Media forums and it is the honest truth: "A group of people try to find some bootleg movie and end up stumbling onto a money laundering front for a sex business and things become a roller coaster ride as things don't go the way they planned at all. And all they wanted was to find a crappy bootleg movie."

9:30 I laugh my *** off every time.

Yeah, but I'm under the belief 'Cracks' is more suitable for a page on the creepypasta Wiki than MuppetWiki because it really isn't all that important.

20. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It's not so much that it's a cartoon to obsess over, so much as when something's that frustratingly out of reach, the fact that it is impossible to find makes the obsession.

That said, there's a crapload of Sesame Street stuff that hasn't been released to the public legally or otherwise. I can see the need for trying to put those pieces together as a fan effort if SW is too short handed or does know or care about older, rarer, not big name skits. The cracks thing seems to me to be the thrill of the hunt more than anything. Especially since 7 Little Monsters just randomly popped up without any need for a search.

Blue Frackle likes this.