Rare Muppet Video - 1988 Auto Show

J Faye

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have in my possession a home movie from a 1988 Auto Show of a short Muppet animatronic show called "The Muppet Safety Show". It features Kermit, Miss Piggy, Robin, and the Frog Scouts (also a song called "Buckle Up/ Play It Safe"). The video itself is only about 5 minutes or so, and is completely done by animatronics, with the exception of the short :15 second Miss Piggy video (and it is the puppet Piggy performed by Frank). The animatronics are done very well, though - I would presume they were built by Henson. All the voices are by Frank, Jim, and Jerry (respectively). The video is in SP mode, a first gen copy, and still in very good quality after all this time - every voice is heard clearly, and even the Miss Piggy segment looks great (no interference lines on the video). The camera work is very good and steady on a whole.

I've not seen this on anyone's trading lists, so I'm guessing that most people generally don't know about it or no one ever recorded it. If people are interested, I'd be willing to make a trade for episodes of Fraggle Rock, The Muppet Show, and Dinosaurs that I don't have.

I've got a much larger collection beyond this short video - I have around 50 episodes of Fraggle Rock from HBO and about half of the Dinosaurs series, all first generation copies - so if those interest anybody, I'd be willing to trade dubs of those as well.

I've also got about 70 episodes of TMS on tape, but most of my master tapes (with the exception of about ten episodes) are at my parents house, and I only have access to my own personal dubbed copies at the moment so dubs would be very low quality.

As for what I'm looking for, I want to try and finish my Dinosaurs amd Fraggle Rocks series.

There's also about fourteen TMS episodes I've never seen, so those are priorities on my list:
1) Jean-Piere Rampal
2) Lou Rawls
3) Teresa Brewer
4) Leo Sayer
5) Loretta Lynn
6) Marissa Berenson
7) Leslie Uggams & Big Bird
8) Elke Sommer
9) Cheryl Ladd
10) Crystal Gayle
11) Dyan Cannon
12) Valerie Harper
13) Zero Mostel
14) Judy Collins

I'm not too picky if they're from Odyssey or original airings - so long as there aren't too many cuts. I'd also be interested in several UK sketches from the Nick versions or from European airings (so long as the episodes are only subbed, not dubbed).

If you're interested, E-mail me at jfaye48@hotmail.com and I'll try to get together a full list - or just send or point me to your want list, and I'll let you know what I have.

Thanks - I hope this interests some of you.

J Faye

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
That does sound interesting indeed. Did you get my two emails? I sent you my two trade lists in MS Word and described what I was looking for.

beaker

Reaction score
Ack, mostly animatronics eh? hmmm...I'd be interested if it was the actual puppeteered Muppets. I will say the late 80's was such a magical time for Muppet productions, even the obscure ones(Like the Youre as Funny as Fozzie Bear type vhs)

Btw, an animatronic Camilla was once auctioned on ebay...not sure what it was for though. Would be neat if they had a Muppet themed Chuck E Cheese type place!