Re-post: 'Snippets' from Sesame Street (1975-1981?)

clipjj27

Reaction score
Hi:

Because it's been almost four years since I last posted, I have decided to post one of my earlier threads from then. It has slight modifications.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember Sesame Street fondly - the muppets in particular. However, ther e are some 'snippets' that don't feature muppets that I also found interesting. These feature letters, numbers, 'relational' words like 'between and 'through,' as well as 'opposite concepts' like 'beginning/end' and 'dry/wet.'

Two of the more 'famous' series involve numbers (1 to 10). The first involves a pastry chef holding cakes while standing at the top of a staircase, losing his balance, then tumbling down only to get frosting in his face. This is followed by 'And that's the song of (number)!'. Another series features the derby-wearing painter who paints numbers from 2 to 11 on various things (like an umbrella, doctor's door, and man's forehead) until he runs into trouble on each episode.

However, does anyone remember any of the following 'snippets'?

1. Six clips featuring a female gymnast using several gym apparata to demonstrate certain terms like 'around,' 'beginning/end,' 'between,' 'close to/away from,' 'over/under,' and 'slow.' Moreover, does anyone know who she might have been - anyone famous?

2. Clips demonstrating 'beginning' and 'end,' each accompanied by some background music. Not including the gymnast, these are:

a. someone giving someone else a haircut
b. someone eating a hot dog
c. someone painting a picture
d. children waiting in line at a movie theater

3. A man in a white suit looking in a mirror, putting on a white hat, and then hearing a 'voice' that asks him what forwards means and what backwards means. When the man indicates that he does not have time to answer those questions, the 'voice' then shows him what backwards means. The man then enters a 'backwards world,' and three things I remember going in 'reverse gear' are a chef writing on a chalkboard, eggs being cracked, and someone diving into a pool. The music, though, was my favorite part. I found it to be very groovy and uplifting.

4. Children dancing to music and periodically being interrupted by someone saying 'stop.' The word 'stop' also appears on the screen as well. After a few times, one of the kids gets impatient, points at the camera, then yells 'You stop!'

5. The Spanish word for danger, 'peligro,' starting out in two parts - 'peli' and 'gro.' The 'gro' part contains a bomb and is accompanied by a sinister chuckle as the two parts are pronounced while they inch toward each other. When they finally 'join up,' the whole word is pronounced and one can surely guess what happens next!

6. The song featuring birds flying and landing 'Flying so high...clean air, blue sky.' I found this song to be very comforting and soothing, at least back then. However, if I still remember the melody, my opinion isn't likely to change in this respect.

7. A man being sent on a mission to look for a number 20. He starts out by finding an 11 and a 12, then finds the numbers 13 through 19 along the way until he reaches his destination. When he finally arrives, he his surprised by a gorilla, with whom he must wrestle to uncover the 20.

8. A cartoon featuring a man saying 'W' for 'water,' after which the coversation balloon then becomes a 'tank' filling up with water. When the man can't retrieve any water from the 'tank' via a tap, he climbs to the top and drinks from there. There is also a Spanish version (I believe) for this featuring 'A' for 'agua.'

9. A cartoon featuring the letter 'G.' A goat first appears on the screen, and then hides as a man arrives. The man tries to remember his favorite 'G-word,' and when he does, it is 'grass' (and not 'goat'). The goat, ticked off by this, then rams the man out of the picture.

10. A man walking along the edge of a swimming pool, losing his balance, falling in, and coming out all dripping wet. The key words here are 'dry' and 'wet.'

I'll keep thinking of more as time goes on. However, if anybody remembers any or all of the above, or any actors and/or athletes who might have been featured in them, please let me know. Thanks. Oh, those memories!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, what inspired me to post again was the fact that I saw Snippet #3 (the 'backwards' man) on YouTube the other day. With the advent of YouTube, I am now able to possbily rekindle some of these fond memories I have of the show. The title of that YouTube clip is 'Do You Know What Backwards Means?'

One more thing - I know I can also post this in the thread (with a lot of pages) 'Classic Sesame Street Clips on YouTube,' but because this is a slightly modified re-post of an older thread, I decided to do it on my own. Also, I know that I can always read that thread, but does anybody off hand have (or know where to find) 'snippets' in the above list (like the gymnast, the 'peligro' bomb, the man looking for a '20')? Thanks in advance.

sesameguy

Reaction score
6. The song featuring birds flying and landing 'Flying so high...clean air, blue sky.' I found this song to be very comforting and soothing, at least back then. However, if I still remember the melody, my opinion isn't likely to change in this respect.

7. A man being sent on a mission to look for a number 20. He starts out by finding an 11 and a 12, then finds the numbers 13 through 19 along the way until he reaches his destination. When he finally arrives, he his surprised by a gorilla, with whom he must wrestle to uncover the 20.
First off, here is the "Peligro" clip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010AE1s1-c0

I like the "Flying" song as well. It was featured on an episode of "Sesame Street Unpaved" and it is also featured in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg1v-E9fRso

I do remember the "Fred finds a 20" sketch! It was a lot of fun. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Fred was actually played by Joe Raposo. He did a great job. I'd enjoy seeing that one again. Anyone have it? I will trade for it!

clipjj27

Reaction score
I have seen the following on YouTube except...

Just an update:

I have seen all of the following on YouTube except #2 (several 'beginning-end' clips), #4 (kids dancing and hearing 'stop') and #7 (man looking for a '20').

I think I have seen the links for #8 (water) and #9(goat), and #10 (dry/wet) was just recently added.

Are any of the above (i.e. 2, 4, and 7) on YouTube yet? Just wondering. And, I know it sounds like a broken record, but I'm just waiting too see more of the gymnast (other than 'between')! Thanks.

Hi:

Because it's been almost four years since I last posted, I have decided to post one of my earlier threads from then. It has slight modifications.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember Sesame Street fondly - the muppets in particular. However, there are some 'snippets' that don't feature muppets that I also found interesting. These feature letters, numbers, 'relational' words like 'between and 'through,' as well as 'opposite concepts' like 'beginning/end' and 'dry/wet.'

Two of the more 'famous' series involve numbers (1 to 10). The first involves a pastry chef holding cakes while standing at the top of a staircase, losing his balance, then tumbling down only to get frosting in his face. This is followed by 'And that's the song of (number)!'. Another series features the derby-wearing painter who paints numbers from 2 to 11 on various things (like an umbrella, doctor's door, and man's forehead) until he runs into trouble on each episode.

However, does anyone remember any of the following 'snippets'?

1. Six clips featuring a female gymnast using several gym apparata to demonstrate certain terms like 'around,' 'beginning/end,' 'between,' 'close to/away from,' 'over/under,' and 'slow.' Moreover, does anyone know who she might have been - anyone famous?

2. Clips demonstrating 'beginning' and 'end,' each accompanied by some background music. Not including the gymnast, these are:

a. someone giving someone else a haircut
b. someone eating a hot dog
c. someone painting a picture
d. children waiting in line at a movie theater

3. A man in a white suit looking in a mirror, putting on a white hat, and then hearing a 'voice' that asks him what forwards means and what backwards means. When the man indicates that he does not have time to answer those questions, the 'voice' then shows him what backwards means. The man then enters a 'backwards world,' and three things I remember going in 'reverse gear' are a chef writing on a chalkboard, eggs being cracked, and someone diving into a pool. The music, though, was my favorite part. I found it to be very groovy and uplifting.

4. Children dancing to music and periodically being interrupted by someone saying 'stop.' The word 'stop' also appears on the screen as well. After a few times, one of the kids gets impatient, points at the camera, then yells 'You stop!'

5. The Spanish word for danger, 'peligro,' starting out in two parts - 'peli' and 'gro.' The 'gro' part contains a bomb and is accompanied by a sinister chuckle as the two parts are pronounced while they inch toward each other. When they finally 'join up,' the whole word is pronounced and one can surely guess what happens next!

8. A cartoon featuring a man saying 'W' for 'water,' after which the coversation balloon then becomes a 'tank' filling up with water. When the man can't retrieve any water from the 'tank' via a tap, he climbs to the top and drinks from there. There is also a Spanish version (I believe) for this featuring 'A' for 'agua.'

9. A cartoon featuring the letter 'G.' A goat first appears on the screen, and then hides as a man arrives. The man tries to remember his favorite 'G-word,' and when he does, it is 'grass' (and not 'goat'). The goat, ticked off by this, then rams the man out of the picture.

10. A man walking along the edge of a swimming pool, losing his balance, falling in, and coming out all dripping wet. The key words here are 'dry' and 'wet.'

I'll keep thinking of more as time goes on. However, if anybody remembers any or all of the above, or any actors and/or athletes who might have been featured in them, please let me know. Thanks. Oh, those memories!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, what inspired me to post again was the fact that I saw Snippet #3 (the 'backwards' man) on YouTube the other day. With the advent of YouTube, I am now able to possbily rekindle some of these fond memories I have of the show. The title of that YouTube clip is 'Do You Know What Backwards Means?'

One more thing - I know I can also post this in the thread (with a lot of pages) 'Classic Sesame Street Clips on YouTube,' but because this is a slightly modified re-post of an older thread, I decided to do it on my own. Also, I know that I can always read that thread, but does anybody off hand have (or know where to find) 'snippets' in the above list (like the gymnast, the 'peligro' bomb, the man looking for a '20')? Thanks in advance.