Reality ... Get it Now!

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Okay ... I know many of you are David Bowie fans. And some, like me, are probably fans of his because of Labyrinth.

With that said...

I recently got the new album by David Bowie; and, oh my God, is it awesome! If you don't have it, go out to Tower, or go to amazon.com, and buy it SOON!

I swear: Bowie has got to be one of the most gifted musicians in rock. Bob Dylan and Neil Young are the greatest songwriters; David Bowie is probably the best arranger. At times, this latest record of his sounds so much like an epic piece, it's almost un-real. It has everything, with even a little classical thrown in. And his voice on Reality is probably the greatest I've heard on any Bowie album.

Dare I say: I think it's slightly better than Heathen.

Reality. Get it? Got it? Good. Don't got it? Get it.

You'll love it.

Marble Didymus

Reaction score
A friend of mine was telling me about David Bowie the other day. She was mentioning he wrote many songs I've heard but never really knew it. She was right, too.

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
trekkie1701E said:
Okay ... I know many of you are David Bowie fans. And some, like me, are probably fans of his because of Labyrinth.

I swear: Bowie has got to be one of the most gifted musicians in rock. Bob Dylan and Neil Young are the greatest songwriters; David Bowie is probably the best arranger. At times, this latest record of his sounds so much like an epic piece, it's almost un-real. It has everything, with even a little classical thrown in. And his voice on Reality is probably the greatest I've heard on any Bowie album.

Reality. Get it? Got it? Good. Don't got it? Get it.

You'll love it.
I've been waiting for someone to mention the new album. Actually I haven't bought one of his albums since EARTHLING (I bought the limited edition vinyl LP!) and thought how amazing it is that he had just turned 50 and was still WWWWAAAAAAYYYYY out in front of the pack! Young musicians can only hope to imitate him at his peak, and maybe get rich by ripping him off in some way. He's been through so many different phases, all of them cutting edge.

So, it's good, huh? Perhaps I'll just have to check it out.

thanx!

eric

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Hmmm....I have to check that out...I just spent 12 dollars on the Labyrinth CD after all......(Ah, the nerdiness of it all....)

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Well, that's about how much I spent on that cd a while back :smile: As much as I love Labyrinth, it's the kind of soundtrack that one gets when they can't think of anything else to buy :big_grin:

And I am listenign to Reality again, liking it a lot more this time around. Really, y'all, you MUST get this album. It really covers everything -- from rock to jazz ... from classical to Broadway-esque melodies ... from pop to gorgeous ballads. Certain parts of the final song is strangely reminiscent of Peanuts. I know it's wierd, but buy the album and hear for yourself.

NikZane

Reaction score
trekkie1701E said:
And some, like me, are probably fans of his because of Labyrinth.
Thanks to my older sisters & my mom, I was a Bowie fan at a very young age. So many songs I remember from my childhood; they are a part of me now.

trekkie1701E said:
I swear: Bowie has got to be one of the most gifted musicians in rock.
As a musician and music fan in general, I read a lot of articles and interviews about other musicians, whether I like them or not. I particularly like reading who other musicians are influenced by. One thing I noticed is that nearly *everyone* who writes or performs music today, mentions David Bowie as one of their influences. So I've kept that in mind and whenever I read an interview or biography etc., I take note if Bowie is mentioned; and sure enough, 9 times out of 10, Bowie is always listed as an influence, by the most obscure to the most popular of today's musicians.

David Bowie is probably one of, if not the single most influential musician currently alive today. Not bad for a guy who regularly receives bad reviews and poor album sales.

trekkie1701E said:
I do love Reality, but I personally prefer Heathen. There's just something about Heathen that really strikes a perfect chord for me.

Of Dave's 1990's and beyond albums however, I've loved everyone one, Earthling just blew me away... but nothing compares to Outside, which to this date is still one of my all time favorite albums, Bowie or otherwise. I simply cannot express what this album means to me - it's simply a masterpiece.

NikZane

Reaction score
Manda:-D said:
Hmmm....I have to check that out...I just spent 12 dollars on the Labyrinth CD after all......(Ah, the nerdiness of it all....)
Labyrinth is a fantastic album. How can anyone not love it?

"You remind of the babe."

"What babe?"

"The babe with the power."

"What power?"

"The power of Voodoo."

"Who do?"

"You do?"

"Do what?"

"Remind me of the babe!"

em xero

Reaction score
YAY! Bowie!

I just registered at this forum, and I'm glad to see there's so many Bowie fans on here. I figured there might be a few, Labyrinth and all, but it's good to see there's people from here that are album followers. Yeh, Reality is great, but I agree with Nik- Heathen is more my kind of thing. Heathen, Outside and Earthling are probably all-time faves.