Red-hot letter "I"

mikealan

Reaction score
Can you guys look for an MP3 or a video clip or pictures of the live-film about the red-hot letter I being made?

Thanks!

mikealan

Reaction score
Okay, okay, I forget the video clip or the MP3, because one month ago, Greg had a some of the Unpaveds, and I got #406 and #2558 in one tape. #406 has Sam the Robot, and #2558 is where Maria is pregnant.

#2558 has featured the red-hot 'I' skit. It still scared me, but only it made my heart beating so fast. The sponsors were 'I' and 'R' and '7'. Imagine that the 'I' is going to pop out the TV is 3-D. It was the last skit for #2558. Imagine it was also the SS Maria's Pregnancy Pt. 1 finale!

I'd love to watch that skit again on tape soon and was this shown on any other Sesame's you have besides #2558?

rjschex

Reaction score
I have that sketch on an episode from the 88-89 season (episode # chopped off); there was no voice whatsoever, and the music ended cold.

"Sponsoring" that ep. were I, V, and 13; the whole show was about Gina writing in her diary.

Nickrj

Reaction score
I remember this skit as well. It scared the heck out of me as well. I still have nightmares about it to this day.

Hey does anybody know where you can find this skit as well as other classic skits on the web? I have not been able to find the Red hot I on WinMX nor on the web in either pics or video files. Can some one help me?

Nick Johnson

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i wonder what they were really making? i'm sure it was supposed to have been something else than an I.

Klonoa

Reaction score
Maybe it was an I-beam. Ha.

I liked that skit. It was fascinating.

Also like the cartoon skit about the people living in the big I.

--Klonoa

ssetta

Reaction score
I bet it IS called "I-Beam"! That's very interesting, because I once had the lady at the SS music department look up something in a show about a Kerosene Lamp, and she did come across a segment called "I-Beam." I bet that's it!

dustinrn

Reaction score
I-beam

My entire family has worked in the steel industry and I have been both scared and obsessed with this film since I was very little. My heartrate would always seem to go up everytime it came on.....you never knew when to expect it, you just sat there and waited for the dreaded Red-hot-I to show up in your face everytime the letter of the day was "I"- lol! For those of you wondering what exactly is going on in that film, let me explain:

This is a red-hot "ingot", or large block of steel being rolled into something called a "beam blank", which would have later been rolled into an I-beam on another rolling mill. It is NOT being forged- The ingot is being passed back and forth between two large rollers (one on top of the "I" that you can see in the film and one is on the bottom) The beam blank is flipped on its side by the two things on either side of the "I", which are called manipulators, every few passes through the rolling stand. With each pass back and forth, the ingot is gradually rolled into a roughly-shaped I-beam. (Much of this film is edited and several shots are missing, which is why we see the ingot being transformed into the I-shape in about 30 seconds.) I actually have another film from Bethlehem Steel which shows the same thing, minus the scary music. This process of rolling ingots into semi-finished shapes was phased out several years ago and they now bypass that whole step with a process called "continuous casting".

To the best of my knowledge, they no longer produce large structural steel shapes like that in this country, and I seriously doubt that the steel mill that this was filmed in still exists, due to the terrible economic conditions that the American steel industry has faced. I wish I could find out exactly which mill this was filmed at.

And by the way, If anyone is interested, I have this bit on DVD, 5 times, back-to-back. If you want a copy, email me. :flirt:

Danimal

Reaction score
Does anyone have the ability to convert this film to quicktime, or winmovie, or mpeg, so we can all easily view it? And he/she who claims to have an MP3 of the "Capitol I" song, do you still have it?

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Am I the only one who wasn't scarred by the music that came with this film?! I think I first saw it when I was 8 or 9 and I always loved the music. I can hear it in my head even as I type this.