Red Hot Riding Hood

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Red Hot Riding Hood (or "Red" as she's sometimes called) is possibly the third most popular cartoon character created by Tex Avery (first, Bugs Bunny, second, Droopy). So, I thought it might be only fitting to start a little discussion devoted to her.

She starred in three of her own cartoons, then she was in some Droopy cartoons.

If you don't know who Red is, here's a few YouTube links to her cartoons:

Red Hot Riding Hood
Little Rural Riding Hood
Swing Shift Cinderella

My question is, why aren't these on DVD? The Droopy Collection is out, but that's all.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
It's just I never was made aware of this fact, but I think it's very cool that she is!
Oh! Gotcha. No, I don't think it's a "fact" exactly. I said "possibly". It seems about right though. I can't think of many major characters that Tex Avery created other than Bugs, Droopy and Red.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
I don't think Screwball Squirrel was all that popular, either. I think it was a cheap way to make a "new character".

BJ

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh! Gotcha. No, I don't think it's a "fact" exactly. I said "possibly". It seems about right though. I can't think of many major characters that Tex Avery created other than Bugs, Droopy and Red.
What about the Big Bad Wolf? I considered them co-stars, myself. And the Wolf was used in a lot of terrible Tom and Jerry cartoons in the 70's and 90's.

Not to mention the inspiration for a certain scene in the movie "The Mask," where Wolf's exaggerated double takes were used, frame for frame.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
What about the Big Bad Wolf? I considered them co-stars, myself. ...

Not to mention the inspiration for a certain scene in the movie "The Mask," where Wolf's exaggerated double takes were used, frame for frame.
Right that scene in The Mask was based on both of the characters. Jessica Rabbit was based on "Red", too.

I probably should have generalized the topic a bit more to include the wolf. That's what makes the cartoons funny. The stereotypical male reaction of the wolf.