Regarding Pepe

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, the Muppet Babies cartoon was for the kids. The actual puppets were for us adults, because their humor goes over the heads of kids and adults get it, the kids like watching the puppets, and there's a good mix of humor on both sides.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<sigh>
Oy. Pepe, Pepe, Pepe.
Here's the deal as I see it:
Pepe is a good character. He adds the adult edge, and is a nice contrast to some of the other main characters, for example, Fozzie comes to mind. Pepe is crazy about women and all the material things, whereas Fozzie is, well, a giant teddy bear. And not just because he's a bear. I mean, all he wants is to be accepted, really. He just wants people to laugh at his jokes.
But Pepe is overused. Insanely overused. It's not so much that I don't like him, I just don't like when it's JUST him. I wouldn't mind him at all if the other characters created that contrast instead of fading into the background.
But I don't think that will really happen as much as I would like. Brian Henson says it very well in the "Tale of the Story Beyond the Tail", an extra feature on the MTI dvd. He says that muppet performers become star performers because they do whatever they can to upstage each other. And that's really what Pepe does- upstage. And that's encouraged in the muppet environment.
Trouble being that the muppeteers don't seem to see that certain characters just... have a limit. Pepe is one of them. Elmo is another. Both good characters, but they need to share the spotlight.
Well that's my opinion anyway.

unclematt

Reaction score
thatannouncer said:
'Noway, hokay. I am the king prawn, hokay."

Pepe is as funny (if not funnier) than many so called 'classic' Muppets, like Fozzie, Animal, Rowlf, Teeth and Scooter.
Lets watch what we say about Fozzie. Be careful there. I do like Pepe but like others have said in moderation. He is the sexiest King Prawn I know, hokay. :rolleyes:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I think Pepe is just getting over used to much. I'v seen all his antics and they were funny at first, but he keeps on doing the same thing over and over again. It gets old after a while when he says the same things over again.

You could argue the same thing with Fozzie and how he always tries to tell a good joke but always fails, but he doesn't come off annoying.

I really could care less about Pepe talking about women or putting a strip club somewhere. If the guy wants that, no problem. I having nothing against his humor or other adult humor the Muppets have. It makes them feel more for adults than just for kids.

I think Pepe would be best if he weren't used so much. I think of him having the splotlight all the time is just diminshing the character and making him come off annoying althohg I'm sure that's not the intention of the writers who write for Pepe or for Bill who performs Pepe.

ryan

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
thatannouncer said:

Pepe is as funny (if not funnier) than many so called 'classic' Muppets, like Fozzie, Animal, Rowlf, Teeth and Scooter.

I don't agree with this at all. Though I like Pepe better than other newer characters, he is too crass to be compared with the likes of Fozzie, Animal, Rowlf and Dr. Teeth. I didn't mention Scooter because he's not funny.

I like Pepe in small amounts. Talking into a fan for that otherworldly voice in MFS was amusing, and I do like it when he pairs up with Rizzo. His size was an important and serving trait in IAVMMC, but he was way too obnoxious in that movie. Notice the Muppets didn't seem to care too much when he left. You think they'd sit by and watch Fozzie or Gonzo take off with an evil banker?

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
thatannouncer said:

I like pepe too! He was hi-larious in MWOO! just fyi.

BJ

MWoO

Reaction score
Pepe is basically the non-muppet muppet. Just like Bean is the embodiment if the cute side of the muppets, Pepe is the embodiment of the adult side of the muppets and the other pretty much fall in between. So, he's supposed to be crass and stuff. It's just like Bean being way too cute. It's what he does.

Bean was brought in because the muppets had the stigma of being cute little kids puppets so they went the ironic route and added a really extra cute character. This is even talked about in the Muppets at Disney TV movie. He's their to be cute so the others don't have to. Think of Pepe as the polar opposite of Bean. Pepe is there to draw in the adults that still think the Muppets are just for kids. So, while you laugh at Pepe and his crass humor, you realize that the other muppets are actually entertaining.

As for Pepe leaving and no one caring in AVMMC, I think that is part of his character. The muppets put up with him. Pepe is friends with no one and none of the muppets really like him but they aren't going to kick him. Also note that Pepe left Ms. Bitterman when he realized she wasn't playing fair. So, while he was greedy and wanted money, he still has a heart. He then used his sneakiness to help the rest of the gang. You have to give him credit for that.

Pepe has a place and is a classic character. I would like to see him pair with Bean Bunny though and see how the polar opposites deal with each other.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I guess the problem people have with Pepe is similar to the problem people have with Elmo. He's getting all the airtime, and pushing the old classic Muppets to the background. As for my opinion, I feel Pepe was a pretty good addition to the Muppets. I really like his dialog: (Ex: the 'gosh darn sexy' line, and his line in the Weezer video: 'This is what I deal with, okay.') And he is helpful to the Muppets at times. Specifically in the Christmas movie when he stopped Mrs. Bitterman from tearing down the Theatre to make it a historical landmark.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yes,. "All things in moderation" should be the line to take with him. Same with Elmo. Pepe and Elmo are identical in that they get all the air time, and are hated by most.

I think, if he was used less, we would all love him.

Thimble

Reaction score
sorry people i love ya but pepe is the best

hey thimble here
hey everyone to everyone who loves pepe...thankyou
and to the people who havent got him quite yet...then theres time

to be honest people pepe helped me though the hard times in my life..he made me laugh till i rolled on the floor...pepe means the world to me...and o thankyou for understanding that.

he has my type of humour lol

i was also wondering...how long had pepe been around for?

thanx guys
rock on !!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: